superchargers or turbochargers

Discussion in 'Community' started by rsxkid99, Aug 29, 2004.

1. rsxkid99 macrumors newbie

i never knew the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger, which one is better, and which one would u recommend to put in a car?

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Both are a type of forced induction into the engine. They provide more air, as well as denser air (both make more power) to the engine. A supercharger is belt driven, as it has a pulley that is part of the belt system. The belt spins rotors that force the air.*A turbo reaches the same end by a different means, only more so. A turbo is propelled by the exhaust, requiring special headers and a device called a wastegate, which keeps the exhaust pressure from getting to high, and it controls boost. Turbos usually boost power a little more than superchargers (though not always) but they are significantly more expensive (usually).

Which one is better is a difficult question. A supercharger is not going to be quite as hard on your engine for a couple of reasons. One is that you don't have the risk (or at least as much of a risk) of burning exhaust valves because it is belt driven and not exhaust driven. Second is that a more dense cool charge is going to be generated by a supercharger since it is not being driven by hot exhaust gas. Also with a supercharger there is no boost lag, or turbo lag. With a turbo running off the exhaust gas it takes time to build up the pressure to spin the turbo then to compress the air and force it into the intake. Superchargers come in way lower in the RPM range giving you a jump on the competition.

A turbocharger is the weapon of choice for other people because its easier to get larger amounts of boost with a turbo by adjusting the pressure of the wastegate release switch, smaller exhaust housings and so on. Second is the fact that since it is exhaust driven you don't have to worry about belt slippage unless you have spent an enormous amount of money having grooved pulleys made for your street application. As far as turbo lag goes, with new technology, turbos today are made with ball bearings instead of oil bearings allowing them to build boost or "spool up" a lot faster then older turbos.

You can also find additional information using this link to howstuffworks - it's an excellent site, and definitely one worth bookmarking!

Hope this helps... :cool:

3. justinshiding macrumors member

Because I love being the voice of reason....

I would say that neither would be the best choice, I've seen way too many people just wreck their engines by adding a turbocharger (not so much with superchargers even though they also put extra strain on the engine)

One of them, the bill from acura (it was an rsx type s)for the new engine was going to be about 11,000 dollars. The turbo lasted about 6 months before it blew the engine. IF you do add a turbo , do yourself a favor...factor in the cost of getting reinforced internals for the engine before or during the install of the turbo. It's not going to be cheap, but it'll be quite a bit cheaper than a new engine and voiding any warranty you have.

However this is from the guy that thinks it doesnt make sense to turn a passenger car into a speedmachine , so just take my opinion lightly :)

4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Just get a big block 350. You'll be happy with it. Nothing like big cubic inches.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think this thread would answer every little question you could have about them both.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree with you completely on that one! I always shake my head at these guys who buy crappy little cars and then invest 50-75% of the car's worth in additions and improvements to make them "fast". Buy a real sports car, and if you can't afford one, don't pretend to have one. Oh, and it doesn't help when you add tip resonators, neon lighting, fake Type R badges, and a whole bunch of decals to your car - that just makes you look like more of an idiot. :cool: One of my personal favorites are people who put ugly-ass spoilers on their cars - it's especially funny when the cars are front-wheel drive - yah, better make sure you have all that downforce... :rolleyes:

7. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I completely agree with you- an old toyota corolla painted bright yellow and a bunch of body moldings and stuff. It just looks stupid. And those annoying exust things that make the car sound really load. In a town nearby mine they would ticket people if there cars were intensionally made to be very loud with exta parts. (they would exclude classice cars i.e. shelby cobra). I like my Audi fun, fast, and doesn't look stupid. I also hate the people who "pimp out" there cars with GIANT chrome wheels and grills. That to just looks stupid.

"Don't pretend to be something your not" (cars)

8. biederman macrumors newbie

small vs. big block

Actually, the 350 cubic inch engine is a small-block, although it IS a great performance engine. Like the old hot-rodders used to say, there is no replacement for displacement!

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd say it depends on the kind of engine you have. I lean towards turbo, but I am biased since my car is turbocharged. The big thing besides making sure your engine is reinforced is keeping the temperature in check. A force induction engine makes for a seriously toasty engine compartment. My car came stock with a turbo and you would be amazed by the amount of heat shields around everything. Right now I am dealing with a heating problem with my car, the turbo just brings the thing to a boil. Funny thing, though, the faster I drive the cooler the engine gets but once I slow down or idle at a light it overheats. I've already found a few possible culprits, being a slight leak from the bottom of the radiator which I am going to plug tomorrow along with the possible chance that the thermostat needs replacing. My 900 degree tubing literally bubbled up and melted over slightly today trying to drive to Autozone just a couple of miles downtown to pick up a few parts I needed for the thermostat, but I stupidly enough forgot to buy a new gasket to seal it.

As a side note, I don't recommend adding a turbo or anything to a Honda VTEC engine, that would cause some serious issues with the variable timing considering the computer is specifically designed to advance the valve lift to a set of variables made exactly for the engine specs.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

An old Corolla looks stupid anyway :p

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You're preaching to the choir on that one bud! My manager has a 1966 Shelby Cobra (factory reproduction, not a kit car) and that is one of the few cars that should be loud - not these POS Civics, Cavaliers, Sunfires, Neons, Integras, man, the list goes on and on... My manager sourced an original 1966 428 Cobra Interceptor engine for it and man does that thing fly! It was dyno'd and everything - near 600 hp, 0-60 in 3.4s, quarter-mile @ 120 mph in 11.5 seconds - the thing is a rocket and I love getting rides in it... :cool:

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Very true, can't argue with that one...

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd have to say that all Corollas look stupid, not just old ones.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Once again, very true... Not that this comes as a surprise of course... ;)

15. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I hope to build a kit Cobra one day, but that 1/4 mile sound slower than it should with 600hp, and a 0-60 of 3.4 sec....sounds to me like he should be more around 11.0 sec or a little less...but then again, I'm not an expert at all.

My goal is to build a Cobra with a 302...using an individual throttle body system...looks like Weber stack carbs, but uses injectors...very slick looking and old school, but still just easier to deal with than webers.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, it is @120 mph. What, a 11.5s 1/4 mile is too slow for you? :p ;)

Sounds nice. Yah, my manager (and it's "she", not "he" by the way, which makes it even cooler!) went all out with the factory reproduction - none of this kit car stuff for her! The icing on the cake would have been to find an original 427 side oiler, but that was wishful thinking on her part. ;)

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Although it's hard to make a statement like this since different cars are like apples and oranges, it is the most impressive car I've ridden in. My friend's 2003 911 Turbo handles way better (of course) and perhaps could out race it, but off the line and in a street race, and as far as pure power and speed go, not much can beat a Cobra. The rides I've had in it have been awesome - right from strapping myself into the 5-point racing harness to "smoking" the tires only to not hear any noise, since the tires are so soft, yet see strips of black on the pavement in our wake. There's just something indescribable when you're cruising down the highway at 100, go out to pass someone, and smoke the tires in 5th gear.... :cool:

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i wouldn't bash him to much, to each their own. assuming his name reflects his car, an acura rsx is a pretty sweet car. its a great little car to mod and can look good if you make it look good.

also, what is your guys definition of a real sports car. some people can only afford certain cars, and they would like to make it faster or more appealing to them as money comes in. we all can't rush out and grab a porsche or bmw to say we have a "real" sports car. its all the same reasons some of us by imacs and others buy g5's

iJon

20. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

If anyones looking for a turbo gasoline car i reccomend the audi a4 1.8T.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, I didn't even pick up on that in his name - good call! Of course, the RSX is an excellent car, and I was by no means bashing him - just look at my first reply, I thought I did a good job in explaining things for him! And yes, there's northing wrong with modding cars like an RSX - to an extent - I think that's what some of the previous posters (myself included) were getting at.

And that's fair enough - I was referring to the extreme though, where guys go out and buy a $15-20k car and then end up spending $10-15k in modding it, for example. Either that, or putting on useless (and usually ugly) mods like huge spoilers, incorrect badges, tip resonators, neon lighting, decals galore, or many other similar things - some of which will damage the car itself in some cases, a la NOS, etc.

Just check out the Hall of Shame on this site and you'll see what I mean. ;)

To each his own, of course, but I find it hard-pressed to compare a magnificent piece of automotive engineering such as a Lotus Esprit (to use but one example) to some of the cars one would find in a "Fast and the Furious" movie... (except the Dodge Charger of course) :cool:

22. iGav macrumors G3

depends who you ask... ;)

Gordon Murray will tell you that a properly developed naturally aspirated engine is the best, but if you have to... then he'll tell you that Supercharging is a hell of alot better then attaching a Turbo. ;)

This is after all from one of the guys behind the engine that is widely considered to be one of the greatest (along with the Enzo's V12) ever to grace a car... the McLaren F1 just incase you were wondering. ;)