Supercheap 1GB RAM p'book

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BakedBeans, Aug 27, 2004.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

they are selling 1gb sticks of ram for powerbooks for 149dollars

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4158153

it seems to be good ram... alot of guys from Macnn brought it and no problems
    i thought i would let you know.. it doesnt look like they deliver to the uk... would anyone be willing to get it for me and then ship it to me??? all paid first of course

2. JRam macrumors member

JRam

Wow that does seem like a good deal. A really good deal. What are some peoples opinions on the performance of that? I live near a Fry's (outpost.com's brick and mortar side of biz) and will try to drop by and see if the deal extends in the store too, if it does ill pick some up there.

3. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

This may sound like a good deal, but the Ram is generic. I would much rather get my ram from Crucial, or at-least somewhere reputable. If you do buy it, tell us what you think.

4. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

nice one thanks for the pm ;)
    let us know how it goes..

5. amyhre macrumors member

I was looking on MacMall for RAM for the 15" AlumiBook and found this:
    Memory Upgrades 512MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM SODIMM for $90. Is Memory Upgrades good RAM or should I pay a little more and get some Kingston or Viking RAM?

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I've never had a problem with generic RAM in over 5 computers.

7. panphage macrumors 6502

Well, it might be generic, and it might not be as dirt-cheap as the one above, but OWC has some decently priced 1GB sticks as well:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6576&Item=OWC27KTISO1GB

For $250 you can buy two in case one breaks for about the same as one stick from Crucial. And anyway, OWC has a lifetime warranty, they are a reputable, mac-specific company.

8. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have been thinking of getting a 512 stick for my mac but at that price i might go for the gig. Tell us if it works please.

I would really like to know.

Thanks

9. scottwat macrumors regular

I just ordered one

Well I just placed an order for a stick of the 150 ram. I live in Ohio so I had to pay TAX. That really sucks, but I still came out for under 170$. Problem is I'm waiting till after Paris to order my 12" powerbook. Maybe I'll place the order in the next couple days and then packages will start coming in for a week or so. I also ordered a zeroshock sleeve but its on back order.

10. Purgatory macrumors newbie

Does it only work in PowerBooks, or is it also compatible with the latest iBook revision?

11. DTG macrumors member

http://shop4.outpost.com/template/h...istance/Middle_Topics/A3InternationalShipping

See here. It appears that they do in fact ship internationally so this may be a worthwhile venture for us UK dwellers! :)

As for the above poster, in theory the RAM should work fine in your iBook provided it will work at all (considering it is generic RAM). The fact that it is PC2700 and not PC2100 specified would not prevent it from working in an iBook (G4) however the opposite (PC2100 in a Powerbook) would not work.

12. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Wow, my housemate totally flipped when I told him this... Will this work in his 12'' new Powerbook?

13. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

It will work in G4 iMacs, G4 PowerBooks, G4 iBooks, G3 iBooks, but I don't know about G3 PowerBooks.

I don't have $150 to spend at the moment, but does anybody know how long this sale will last?

14. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I say this is a hot deal and if it has a one year warranty, who wouldn't take a chance?

15. scottwat macrumors regular

Warranty

Let's make a list of all the reasons to go with say crucial or Samsung(what apple uses) or another name brand as opposed to say this sweetheart of a deal or the cheaper stick from OWC.
    You say this one has a one year warranty, I say this one ONLY has a one year warranty, the more expensive ones have a lifetime warranty. Does this matter? I would say if its going to break it should be either broke when you get it or will break soon after it. Of course this one is about half the price of the Samsung one at OWC and what like a 4th the price at apple. So I guess if it is a lemon you can warranty replace it and maybe at some point get a samsung or generic from OWC if necessary. I don't know.

Is there any speed or reliability issues? the specs all seem the same. Any benchmark evidence? Any horror stories about generic ram?

16. djkny macrumors 6502

I would hesitate to be so enthusiastic about Apple's clearly overpriced RAM. $300 for one SO-DIMM 512MB? Pls. Apple brand doesn't necessarily prove anything, just great salesmanship. If RAM works, it works. Who cares if it's Crucial, Apple, GAP, or Starbucks RAM....

17. scottwat macrumors regular

ordered mine yesterday

I went and ordered mine yesterday, to my absolute shock it was waiting on my doorstep this morning. Granted it was an instate delivery in ohio and I ordered ground shipping, would have felt real stupid if I opted for say overnight. But my god most places take a day or two just to process the order then another day or two for boxing it up. These guys were quick.

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Major beef with the memory price ranges

If DDR PC2700 memory from Crucial for the Powerbook cost $479.99 then why do they have memory at the same spec for $149? It would be nice if there was some scientific tests published that compare battery life, performance, and reliability between both chips so the consumer isn't confused. Crucial should at least put some effort to show why you should pay Apple's prices for memory. I thought Crucial was suppose to be cheaper. Was Crucial's memory signed by Steve Jobs or something?

149 is too much for memory if it doesn't work or fails and you have to deal with returning it within the 1 year warranty. $479 is too much for memory period. If someone sells memory for $1,300, does it mean it's better than Crucial's memory?

19. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Scottwat, does it work? If it does I think I will order one two.

20. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

I bought the OWC brand (not the samsung) 1 gig a week ago and it works great! OWC has a good rep and I have had no problem with the ram being recognized by the computer, and it has made a noticable difference in my PB (now at 1.5 gig total ram).

They must have just dropped the price as this ram was ~267.95 a week ago ( with lifetime replacement warranty).

21. LiveForPhysics macrumors newbie

Have any of you had bad experiences with the use of generic RAM sticks? I'm considering purchasing the 1 gig RAM stick from the link listed above since I have a local Fryz Electronics (a.k.a. outpost.com) in my vicinity. It sure looks tempting...

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're right. :) I've always wondered the same thing, but wasn't knowledgeable enough to question the people who told me to buy Crucial when I switched. I had generic RAM in my PC, and never had a problem. I didn't even know it mattered until people here made a big huff and puff about it. Most people don't even know why they're telling you to buy from Crucial, but since they read other posts here that always recommend Crucial, they'll tell you that "you need to get Crucial because they're great!!" Its a snowball effect.

Quality differences: will cheap RAM break on contact? No. Will it work? Yes. Crucial makes faulty RAM sometimes, so if cheap RAM doesn't work, exchange it. Will Crucial offer better performance and avoid kernel panics? Wait, but how much better will the performance be? A 1GB stick from Crucial may be 8% better than one from OWC, but surely two 1GB sticks of OWC RAM will offer wicked performance when compared to 1 stick of 1GB Crucial RAM. They cost the same. ;)

Although I still recommend it to N00bs, I'm buying my 1GB stick of PB RAM at OWC. I'm never buying from Crucial again. There's not enough of a difference in performance and reliability to pay an extra $200 on top of the $260 you're already paying. :eek:

23. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

My housemate picked this up at Midnight, and it came they next day a little before noon. AMAZING. It works so well and his PB is now scccccrreeeeeaaaammmiiinnnnggggg....

24. scottwat macrumors regular

It works just fine sitting on the shelf waiting for my new powerbook that I ordered yesterday to get here. I should know sometime next week. But down in the thread it seems to.

25. scottwat macrumors regular

Why buy "special" ram?

I think alot of the reason mac users especially get (I don't know tricked) into buy these special ram from crucial or kingston or god forbid apple, is that most of the hardware for apples have been so "special" you had alot of times in the past to make sure that something worked in your super premium computer. Also in the past I would imagine the generic ram did get a pretty poor reputation. But now I don't think they could sell it if it didnt live up to expectations. Alot of devices still need special attention to make sure they will work with the mac. Things like video cards, TV tuners, sound cards, things like these all work on drivers, and most companies wither want to play on the mac or dont. Ram is pretty standard now. I don't remember way back when if it had always been compatible with PC ram or not.