SuperCompact Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacAztec, Sep 1, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well, I am in the market for a Super-Compact digital camera. Something like the size of the Canon SD20. I have a price range of about $225-$250 dollars, but I will take recommendations of things that are more expensive

Any ideas?

2. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

i love this new coolpix design. might actually buy one of these:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090101nikon_coolpixs3.asp

3. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I have a white canon powershot sd10 (which is like the sd20) its a great little camera.

4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

The Pentax Optio line has always been one of the smaller cameras.
    They just announced the newest member of the family today: link here
    A few years ago, I tried the original one, and wasn't particularly happy with the images, so I ended up purchasing a Canon SD400.
    If you end up deciding to go with it, make sure you take an SD card to the store & test it out to see if you're happy with the images.

The other line of cameras to look at would be the Casio Exilim line (link here).

In addition to www.dpreview.com, you could also check out www.dcresource.com.

Good luck!

5. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

One of the cover stories on cnet.com today was about "Ultracompact cameras." Link here
    You may find it useful in your search for a good small camera.

Hope that helps - good luck!

6. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

I am in love with the SD400 and the 300 is also a great model--depending on how many pixels you want

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So are you a fan of these periscope designs, Mike? I wanted such a thing when I bought my PowerShot S50, although the latter won because it was available used and deeply discounted. :D But I do at times feel that I would like a substantially more compact camera for use at camp and so on.

8. Angelus macrumors 6502

I bought a Canon Ixus 50 bout two months ago. Its very compact and takes great pictures.

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'd love one just to take to parties and get pics of my friends and such, and this is SO small, and compared to my D2h or D100 with 17-55....

haha. tiny!

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True, that was my exact thinking! There are times when you just want to have it with you so you can take a quick snapshot for remembrance. And as you have demonstrated on several occasions, one take very good photos with a pocket cam. :)

Although nothing beats that 100-400mm professional line lenses with tripod mount for stalking! :eek: ;) :D

11. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I second the suggestion for the Canon SD400. Nothing else that compact is as nice for everyday use in my opinion.

12. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

When you decide what camera your going to get check out Dell.com and if its there check out Slickdeals and im sure you can save $100+ if you go there the right time.

13. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well, I have decided on the Canon PowerShot SD300. Pretty damn small, 4.0MP, 3x Zoom, nice camera. I am waiting for another Dell deal on it, it will be around $230 shipped when the deal comes.