Superdisk in mini is letting me down copying!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JW8725, Aug 18, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    We've had a wedding in the family and some 1500 snaps were taken. I boldly and somewhat big headedly offered to take up the easy task of cropping the pics and slapping as many on CD as possible. I thought it would be a chance to show just how simple and striaght forward copying and infact using the OS is to those who dont like/use a mac.

So far from 50 cds copied 10 have had errors. Then of them 10 its only reported an error validating on maybe half! I'm left a little red faced as I have to manually check the files have copied while my 'sceptic as it is' audience watches behind. I've even changed brand of CD and this same problem has persisted. Is anyone having problems with their superdrive copying?
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  3. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    For some reason, I don't think it is the mac. Is the the cd vendor? Are you using the same type of blank cds? Just one small opinion.
  4. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2001
    The SuperDrive on my iMac G4 never worked burning DVDs at all. CDs, no problem.. I find CDs are still an infantile format fraught with error in general. No one brand, player, and computer all seem to work together perfectly. Although, for the most part, I find CDs much more reliable than you, DVDs are fairly unreliable as it relates to even DVD-Rs to be read by every player that isn't also a computer... nomatter which one of my three Macs I burn it on. I think physical disk formats are always going to be problematic because there is no accurate method to guarantee alignment from drive to drive.. and I don't expect that problem which started with floppies to ever go away just because its optical now. We need to do away with moving parts storage entirely. Here's hoping on 3D holographic cards.
  5. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Try burning at a lower speed... some of these drives aren't calibrated as well as I'd hope.
  6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    A) How are you trying to burn these?
    B) What speed are you burning at?
    C) What speed are your discs rated at?
  7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'll second the guess on the CD manufacturer as a possible culprit.
  8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I think reducing the burning speed should fix the problem. I've never really heard of anyone having this problem before though.
  9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    I have had problems with certain brands of disks not burning correctly. I don't recall which have been suspect, but have had great success with Sony as of late.
    Are they the same files that have problems each time? Is the whole CD's not working or is it just certain files? Are you using iphoto to export to a burn?