superdrive and the ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sir42, Mar 15, 2004.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2003
    NY, NY
    Any educated guesses on the possiblity of seeing a superdrive in the next iBook revision?
  2. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    My guess is it won't be in the next iBooks since it's one of the main difference between iBooks and Powerbooks. (Besides dual monitor, which can be hacked back into the iBook) Besides, Apple wants to keep the iBook prices down as much as they can. Maybe it'll be included once the Powerbook goes G5 but then again, my guess is that it would be a built to order option.

If you don't need to burn those DVDs on the road, there are some decently priced external firewire DVD burners out there. Some are faster than the ones Apple is bundling with the Powerbook.

Not much help but it's a start ^_^
  3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    There is a place that lets you buy iBooks with internal superdrives installed in them. I can't remember where but someone will hopefully post a link. Just to let you know they exist (and are iApp-compatible).

Otherwise, it's unlikely official-wise, as it's a good distinction between iBook and PowerBook.
  4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Since the iBook is so closely equipped to the 12" PowerBook they give the PowerBook a little help by giving it the Superdrive. So chances of seeing a Superdive in the iBook in the next revision are about nil.
  5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    mce technologies sells a superdrive upgrade for the powerbook and the ibook, but they're pretty expensive, i just ordered a powerbook superdrive upgrade from (my combo drive has decided it doesn't like reading DVDs, i have no more apple care and the superdrive is only 70 bucks more than a replacement) for 250 bucks.
    for the G3 ibook:

for the G4 ibook:

they're epxensive, and require you sending them your computer for them to install it though. I think that this link would be what would you should purchase for an ibook, and its a bit cheaper than MCE: