SuperDrive capabilities in Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Island Roots, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Island Roots macrumors regular

The SuperDrive in my Power Mac G5 has the following specs (gathered from System Profiler):

I know that in Jaguar, Apple disabled the DVD-RW capabilities of the SuperDrives (making it DVD-R). Currently, Apple continues to advertise the SuperDrive as DVD-R only, rather than DVD-RW. Does Panther enable the DVD-RW capabilities of the SuperDrive? If no, will I be able to erase a DVD-RW disc via Toast 6 Titanium using my G5's SuperDrive?

The reason I ask is because I want to start backing up my data (specifically my music) to external sources in case of the inevitable; HDD failure. I want to use the DVD archiving feature in iTunes but I don't want to be waisting DVD discs if the DVD-RW feature of my SuperDrive can't be enabled.

2. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

You can natively burn to DVD-RWs even in Jaguar, I think. It just acts like a DVD-R in that you can only burn to it once. (You use Disk Utility to reformat it.)

3. jrcomer macrumors newbie

G5 Superdrive

Justin -

This is precisely what I want to use my G5 Superdrive for. Did you ever get an answer to your question about whether it can be used to backup to rewriteable DVD's?

Thanks,

James