Superdrive FAILURE

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sneckner, Apr 21, 2005.

1. sneckner macrumors newbie

I have a Powerbook 867 w/ Superdrive. Any disc inserted into my superdrive is ejected after a few moments of whirring. I am worrying; anything, anybody?

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

you could have a misalignment of the laser which would result in your drive determining that anything you stick in it is unreadable....the only cure for that would be a drive replacement. Thats basically what happened to my TiBook rev C's combo drive last year, I replaced it with a UJ-815 (2x superdrive) from DFWdepot.com.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You could try running a cleaner disk through it; I've never had to use one, but I have heard of success with them on older drives. This certainly isn't a case of infant morality. Maybe you should take the opportunity to upgrade to a newer drive?

4. sneckner thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks . . .

I'm gonna try the cleaning bit; I'd hate to drop the cash on a new drive, but if I have to, what's a good replacement?

5. sneckner thread starter macrumors newbie

no luck

Is there any type of violent shaking or slot prodding that could get this thing to work?

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

open up "Console" under utilities folder then put in a CD. What error messages if any do you recieve?

7. sneckner thread starter macrumors newbie

console

I should mention that this problem originated after ejecting a disc. As the disc ejected I heard a sort-of grinding noise...

...there appears to be no change in console, but under the March 20th records (when I first had this problem), I have a ton of errors all similar to the following:

Apr 20 18:23:01 sunny kernel: disk1: I/O error.
    Apr 20 18:23:02 sunny kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x09, ASCQ = 0x00
    Apr 20 18:23:02 sunny kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x16, ASCQ = 0x00
    Apr 20 18:23:03 sunny kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x16, ASCQ = 0x00
    Apr 20 18:23:04 sunny kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x09, ASCQ = 0x00
    Apr 20 18:23:04 sunny kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x09, ASCQ = 0x00
    Apr 20 18:23:04 sunny kernel: disk1: I/O error.
    Apr 20 18:23:04 sunny kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x16, ASCQ = 0x00
    Apr 20 18:23:11 sunny last message repeated 3 times

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I like Pioneer burners, myself.

9. alexprice macrumors 6502a

10. sneckner thread starter macrumors newbie

can't boot

no, it won't even boot from CD or DVD. I fear the worst. I do record bands in smoky bars. Maybe the lens is dirty... Until then I'm using an external firewire CD burner. Thanks for all the help.

11. sneckner thread starter macrumors newbie

My drive is back!!!

I stuck the tube of my compressed air can into the slot-loading drive and fired several short blasts of air. Now my drive is working fine. It burns and turns.

It sounds like its not spinning as fast as it used to, but maybe I'm just being sensitive. Can anyone explain why this might have fixed it? Do you think it was smoke residue on the lens, or misalignment? I tried a CD before I used the air, and it still wouldn't take the disc, but immediatly after I shot it full of air, the drive started working. Should I spray more air in there?

:cool:

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you need to a cleaner for cd-roms or cd-players.

13. usclaneyj macrumors regular

I'm experiencing the same problem, but my system is a quicksilver G4 with superdrive. I insert a disc and nothing happens. Then after about 30 seconds it spits the disc back out. Anyone have any suggestions for a good replacement for my superdrive?

14. sneckner thread starter macrumors newbie

clean it

I would recommend trying to clean it first; updating the firmware also helps. I'm not sure of the websight, but you can clusty it easily.

Sunny

15. usclaneyj macrumors regular

yeah, i tried the compressed air thing that you mentioned. i also used a dvd lens cleaner disc. firmware is up to date.

i think it's junked. i got down and put my ear up against the case and i could kinda make out a weird noise that didn't sound like the "whir" of a healthy drive.

the part that REALLY sucks about all this is i had a cd in the other day, i went to the mall saturday morning and got Tiger, and i get home and my drive suddenly won't read!! :( :( so Tiger is just sitting here taunting me.

16. sneckner thread starter macrumors newbie

There is hope:

Almost as soon as the drive got better, it got worse. It was making this horrible noise when it ejected discs. It wouldn't keep a disc in, or if it did, it would have all sorts of read errors.

One of my friends bought a (I think it was TDK) DVD lens cleaner; it cost about twenty dollars at Best Buy. I was the first person to use the disk, and I ran it three or four times before I tried my drive again. The first disk I inserted worked, and I am burning regularly with no problems. I also updated the firmware for my drive (a third party firmware upgrade found googling), and the Superdrive is now burning at higher speeds.

I'm guessing it was smoke residue from recording audio in too many clubs or the dust I accumulated living at a Y-camp in Colorado (ever notice how dirty Colorado cars are?).

Anyway, I have an 867 Mhz 12" Powerbook with the original Matshita DVD-R UJ-815. I highly recommend trying the lens cleaner several times before paying for a new drive.