SUPERDRIVE FUNERAL

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kjdenison, Feb 21, 2005.

1. kjdenison macrumors 6502

My superdrive died on me :( Whats the best way to go for getting a new drive. Should I install an external?

Can I just get a case like this http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album and add any regular dvd+rw drive into it? http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=5&DEPA=0 Or am I going to run into problems because of Mac OSX?

Or should I get a Lacie or something, that is all in one. I have toast, but will i run into problems burning with idvd and from the finder and such?

I have a 1.6GHZ G5 and the superdrive is a SONY that came installed. So if i were to get a pioneer replacement would that not work? I would rather figure out how to install an internal if i can?

http://www.patchburn.de/faq.html and install this?

I need some help!!

2. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

Did you use it alot? Its not out of the blue as if its just broken and you barely used it?

You can get drives to put into your G5, I don't think its a user installable part but if you don't have applecare and are out of waranty you might want to give it a go and save yourself some money. You were talking about putting a drive in an external case. You might run into some problems but as long as you set it as the primary cd drive then you should be ok. But again I dont know if thats possible.

Heres a link that maybe be of some use, i just googled "Powermac G5 replacement superdrive"

link number 1 Just scroll down on the left side there is an MCE 16x Superdrive.

link 2 Maybe some helpful chatter about peoples experiences.

But most of all, the most useful that I've found

Hope I helped, good luck

3. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Is it really dead?

And then there was the day that the Superdrive in my Powerbook quit recognizing that a DVD was inserted. The Genious bar at one Apple Store said it was dead and would need to be replaced. Since I was just visiting that area, I elected to wait until I got back home. Whereupon the next Genious bartender tried the same tests, yup, it doesn't work. He reset the PRAM and it lived again.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

It is truly amazing what that will fix sometimes.

5. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

So according to all the sources I should get myself a Pioneer 109 or a MCE 16X drive and install the patch. How in the world am I going to get my drive out of my system?? I have investigated it but it is in there really tight. Any ideas? Thank you guys so much.