Superdrive in a 1.33ghz iBook 12"?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, Aug 8, 2006.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

Are there any problems I should anticipate in swapping out the original combo drive in a 1.33ghz iBook for a superdrive? Any software issues?

Anything I need to know about making it work other than making sure it is physically in the right position?

THanks in advance...

2. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

I was thinking of doing that myself but a 1.33GHz processor is a bit slow to do some real iDVD or iMovie work, and I never really got around to burning on a DVD anyway... so that idea went history.

3. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Processor speed doesn't bother me. Anyway, I just finished dropping in a new superdrive. I broke the little gray optical drive connector and had to jerry rig the ribbon back into position. I also broke one of the tabs on the slot opening -- taped up the mistakes.

It works fine with no software updates -- tiny mistakes no problem.

If old tibooks down to 550mhz could handle a superdrive, this little ibook can... Just happy that its now got a new hd and new superdrive.

4. ~ j ~ macrumors member

~ j ~

anybody know any makes / models that i can look for?

i want to put one in an ibook, but dont really want to pay for a top spec one.
    as long as it burns dvds, not to bothered about the speed.

£90 is about the only one ive seen, which is a bit more than i wanted to pay. :)