Superdrive in a 1.33ghz iBook 12"?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, Aug 8, 2006.

1. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Are there any problems I should anticipate in swapping out the original combo drive in a 1.33ghz iBook for a superdrive? Any software issues?

Anything I need to know about making it work other than making sure it is physically in the right position?

THanks in advance...
  2. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2006
    Kansas. No, not on a farm.
    I was thinking of doing that myself but a 1.33GHz processor is a bit slow to do some real iDVD or iMovie work, and I never really got around to burning on a DVD anyway... so that idea went history.
  3. California thread starter macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Processor speed doesn't bother me. Anyway, I just finished dropping in a new superdrive. I broke the little gray optical drive connector and had to jerry rig the ribbon back into position. I also broke one of the tabs on the slot opening -- taped up the mistakes.

It works fine with no software updates -- tiny mistakes no problem.

If old tibooks down to 550mhz could handle a superdrive, this little ibook can... Just happy that its now got a new hd and new superdrive.
  4. ~ j ~ macrumors member

~ j ~

Aug 8, 2006
    United Kingdum
    anybody know any makes / models that i can look for?

i want to put one in an ibook, but dont really want to pay for a top spec one.
    as long as it burns dvds, not to bothered about the speed.

£90 is about the only one ive seen, which is a bit more than i wanted to pay. :)