Superdrive in Powerbook

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Crusades, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Crusades macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2002
  2. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    the next logical step, before the g5 laptop (if that's what apple calls it. or a dual g4 laptop)

i was quite surprised when apple cam out with the titanium g4 laptop and i still think this design will be hard to beat, even for apple
  3. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2002
    New York
    I thinik the TI G4 labtops deserve to have a superdrive. I mean the iMac has it now. Isn't the powerbook supposed to be better then the iMac. And even putting in the old G4 chips (733, 867, or even a dual 800) would be sweet and be able to compete with the new Intel Pentium 4 laptops.
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    It might take a little while...

If I am not mistaken, Apple first came out with the DVD-ROM w/ CD-RW Combo Drive in the iBook before the Powerbook. I cannot remember the source, but it took Apple until late 2001 to squeeze a combo drive into the tight enclousure.

My point is that it may also take a while to fit a Superdrive in a Powerbook G4 without being any thicker than one inch.

It does not take a genius to figure it out . . . just someone who uses a Mac.
  5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    I think steve would not let the PB get bigger that 1inch thick, I just think its something he would battle against.

I think we will see Super drivers in them at somepoint but not before the G5s come out.

6. ThlayliTheFierce macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I'm sure the powerbook will have one eventually. However, you'd need an external battery pack to keep that thing running for more than an hour with 2 800 mhz G4's. I seriously doubt that a 1.6 ghz mobile P4 has a large speed advantage over a 667. They speed step the thing way down, and it's a cut down version of the P4 anyway. You only get full speed by having it plugged in. This completely defeats the purpose of having a laptop, which as we all know is burning cds on airplanes. Anyhow, my point is the Powerbook is one of the few high-powered mobile laptops, in that it is still light and has good battery life. Apple is not going to undermine this by adding a superdrive that makes it thicker, heavier, or cuts battery life.
  7. Tommy! macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2001
    when it comes around, i think we can all bet apple will be the first to have it