Superdrive isn't so super, it won't burn!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by SumDumGuy, Sep 12, 2002.

1. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

Ok, this is my first post after months of lurking so bear with me. After years of waiting I finally bought the latest and greatest Mac when the Mirrored-Drive door models were announced. It was delivered on August 21 and everything has been working great until....

Tonight I tried to burn a music CD for a friend in Toast...no dice. I got the following message -- "The drive reported an error: Sense key=MEDIUM ERROR Sense Code=0x73,0x03"

I figured, fine, Toast must be screwy, I'll just use iTunes...wrong! Still wouldn't work.

Now I'm getting worried. I tried just burning some files in the Finder...and lo and behold, another error! "Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occured (Error Code 6).

Thinking I might have a batch of bad CD's I tried each method with CD's from another box...still no go as the coaster pile continued to grow.

I am at the end of my rope. I've tried everything I know to do and still can't get a CD to burn. The drive reads DVD's and CD's fine but it refuses to burn anything. It was working fine just two days ago as I burned some CD's and DVD's to back up stuff from my old Beige G3/300. Anyone have any ideas? HELP!!!

Here's the machine specs:
    Dual 1GHz DDR PowerMac
    1.8 GB RAM
    Super(?)Drive
    CD/DVD-ROM in second bay
    Three 100 GB Western Digital 7200RPM Hard Drives
    OS 10.2 (I haven't booted into OS 9 yet!)

2. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

MAke sure the version of Toast your using is 5.1.4 Titanium.

Not some older version. And when 10.2.1 comes out things should be cooler....it should be out soon for you. I would not worry , and congrats on your new machine.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Have you called Apple tech support, yet??

I've heard of some SuperDrives going out on Quicksilvers...this may be the case here, too.

4. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Very strange...call up Apple Support, that's the best way, might be defective drive, if it is, it's covered under warranty, I'd go for that....

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Sounds like you got a rare case of D.O.A. call Apple and have them fix it. That's what the warranty is for.

6. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Protected CD?

Did you put one of those new Copy-protected CD in your drive? I have read several posts on Apple's site that inserted these into their drives, and then lost all CD capability. Just a suggestion.

Gus

7. SumDumGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Still nothing...

Well, I called Apple Tech Support and was advised to boot into OS 9 (the first time I've run it since I got the machine) and try to burn from there....NOTHING!

I'm on hold with Tech Support again trying to get this resolved. I haven't played any protected CD's as someone suggested, so I am really stuck as to what is going on. I think it just died.

Don't ya hate it when tech support treats you like you know NOTHING?! Oh well, at least I know if its hardware, then the warranty will cover it.

8. SumDumGuy thread starter macrumors regular

New SuperDrive on the way...

My replacement SuperDrive is on the way! Woo-Hoo! Talked to a great tech support guy (David from Apple Canada!?) and I should have it next week.

9. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Burning issues...

I've noted that if I try to burn a CD containing a single, small file on my iBook, the Burn fails every time.

Add more files to the burn, and it works great.

Go figure.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: New SuperDrive on the way...

Sometimes you get the good ones. Good luck I hope this all works out. The consumer ratings still give Apple the highest ratings when it comes to tech support. Even after they shortened the free time for tech support. Go figure either it's really good or there are some really crummy ones out there.