superdrive or combo drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shiunn, Feb 5, 2007.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

Dec 18, 2006
    Has anyone who bought the 1.83ghz macbook ever wished they had gone for the 2.0ghz for the superdrive?

i got a CD 1.83ghz and wished I had not skimped, because i really miss a dvd burner now. and i am seriously contemplating to get a new 2.0ghz purely for that reason. anyone got any thoughts?
  2. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2003
    Calgary, Canada
    Not sure what the prices were for you, but here in Canada, an extra $200 gives you +170MHz CPU, +512MB RAM, +20GB HDD, Superdrive. So yes, I'd have paid more for the Superdrive.

But, the question of trading it in now, really comes down to, do you need to burn DVDs on the road, or just at home? Because, if at home, I think that an external DVD burner would be better than a Superdrive. Most likely would read and write faster, and could easily be upgraded to contain an HD-DVD or BluRay burner, in the future. And worst case scenario, you could probably bring the external burner with you, if you have to use it on the go.
  3. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 18, 2006
    I'm in the UK, so it was around +£100. I guessed i should have thought about it more thoroughly before committing. i've come up with a irresponsible way to solve my misery - by giving the macbook to my sister! so that i can justify getting a new one.

in any case, just wanted to know if there's anyone out there who shares the same regret.
  4. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2006
    Flyover country
    I'm fine with my bottom of the line model. If I need to burn a DVD, my desktop has that covered.
  5. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2006
  6. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 18, 2006
    ok. another of my curiousity. do you guys get the stock harddisk or upgrade the harddisk yourself? Cuz Apple charges quite a hefty sum for the 120gb hdd, or any upgrades really.