Superdrive or Combo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CryptoMac, Sep 21, 2003.

1. CryptoMac macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2003
    I ordered my Duel G5 with the Superdrive. Should I have ordered the Combo and bought the Superdrive aftermarket? I could then use the combo drive in a firewire case? Thanks.
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Why don't you just buy a CD burner and put that in a FW case?

3. CryptoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2003
    Thanks Lethal. I just ordered the system and am second guessing myself. That is a good idea. I think the $$ I would save getting the Combo might not be worth the trouble. Thanks again.
  4. CryptoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2003

Ok, more thinking and reading since this post. Why does it appear from the reading on forums that it is difficult to get a fully supported combo drive. Although, it appears that getting a fully supported Superdrive is easy? Thanks.
  5. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

Jan 20, 2003
    New York
    well, i think the superdrive is better because it can still burn cds. if it were a money issue, i would defiantly vote for combo.
  6. totally_fly macrumors member

Nov 12, 2002
    SuperDrive can burn cds alright, and read them! But it's very slow!

That's why I am not tossing out money on a SuperDrive unless it's read, seek, burn, and erase speeds are fast!

When I get my G5, it will have a combo drive. It is much faster and I never burn dvds.. I don't need a SuperDrive.. Having one just makes my life more painful ;)
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've made several CDs with my SuperDrive and it's fine, but the real reason I wanted one was to make backups. 4.7GB of data on one disk is pretty nice compared to my old 4GB tapes that took an hour to fill and were only good for backup and restore. Using the SuperDrive for video is just a great extra for me.
  8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    If you like your money, go for the combo, then buy an ext. USB 2.0 or FW DVD writer (internal DVD writer + enclosure). It's cheaper and faster. Given the chance, how often do people buy DVDs on the go? 4.38GB of data? Not that many people I'd say.
  9. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    Look at your workflow needs, your purpose, and your out put

do you need to be able to back up 4.7 GIGs of information

if your work is in video, i personally like to have a copy on optical storage, after i slice all my fottage and have all clips arranged and different files, i like to have that as a back up just in case the hard drive crashes, or i do something stupid

again if your working in video, out putting to DVD as a final copy is great, lots of clients jumb on that option now

but if you never plan on doing any video work, and you can't see your self needing to back up 4.7 gigs of information at one time

then a combo drive is more then adiquette
  10. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    I would have bought my 12" with a Combo Drive and used my existing 4x external Firewire DVD burner, except that I would then (a) not get iDVD and (b) even if I were to purchase or "acquire" iDVD, it would not support external DVD burners or non-SuperDrive burners.

11. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    Just buy an Ultrium tape drive and use those! They are only several grand... ;)

At any rate, that's the only thing I use my SuperDrive for: backing up data. I just don't make that many movies, so I feel kinda bummed that I bought something I rarely use.
  12. CryptoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2003
    But could I get the Superdrive (which is a Pioneer DVR-106 from what I've read) from a third party and put it internal? Is there anything that would keep me from doing that? iDVD would work then I would think. Thanks.
  13. Genie macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2003
    I just got the DVR-106D and installed it in my new G5. it didn't work- big problems.

But I got a driver from that made it work like magic- VERY COOL!