Superdrive Problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Grasbak, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I burned a CD yesterday with iTunes and when I put it in my stereo the playback was awful - badly distorted. I tried another CD and it was fine.

I wouldnt probably be bothered but I had problems the other day with iDVD. I could burn a project, then next attempt it didnt work (burn/multipexing error). I got over this problem by saving an image and burning through disk utility.

Should I be concerned about my superdrive? I dont burn stuff that often so its hard to know what is normal behaviour.....

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try slowing the burn speed down in iTunes to see if the quality is any better. Also, have you tried a different brand of blank media? :)

3. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Mad Jew, you helped out the other day with the iDVD problem!

I havent tired what you suggest - will do when I get home from work.

Shouldnt i be able to burn at max speed without issues? Or are audio CDs more problematic anyway? I have burned maybe 10 from the same batch without problems. Coupled with the iDVD burn problem (although this is only my second time burning with iDVD) I was starting to worry something is wrong with the drive!

Thanks again

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, full speed burns should be fine but slowing the speed down may help us determine whether this is a superdrive issue or a media issue. Generally speaking (and this is quite general), lesser quality blank CDs don't play nicely with full speed burning but are okay at slower speeds. Therefore, if a slow burn works properly with this media, then you might benefit from getting slightly better blank media rather than replacing or repairing the superdrive. :)

This is a very general rule, but it's a good place to start troubleshooting. :)