SuperDrive question - AAARRRGHHHH

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Bjoanz, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Bjoanz macrumors newbie

I have a G4 Quicksilver with the SuperDrive CD/DVD read/write. I'm at my first major backup and I'm attempting to write a DVD-R for the first time. (I'll make note that I'm working in OS 9.2, not X.) After loading a new disk in the drive, I get an alert box advising me that my disk is unable to be read, and whether I want to to initialize it. What's up with that??? I am using Memorex DVD-R, and I am assuming the exercise is similar to burning a CD. Could someone please set me straight on this one?
    I am up against the proverbial wall!! Thanks! :confused:

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Not sure about with DVDs, but Memorex CD-Rs never work in my PowerBook, nor do they ever work in my girlfriend's iMac. They just don't even register as being valid in her iMac and my PowerBook makes really nasty sounds and eats it, which ends up forcing me to go into open firmware and forcing the drive to spit it out. I don't know what they do to those discs, but Memorex is terrible with Macs.

3. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Initialization is good for you

Initializing it means that the Finder will be able to see it as a writeable volume. If you initialize it, it will appear on your Desktop. Drag whatever files you want on to the disc. It's not actually copying the data yet, but that's alright. When you're done, just eject the media, it will ask if you want to burn it, say OK, and away you go.

Good luck!

cpjakes

Edit: Or maybe it was "Prepare"... sorry, it's been too long of a day... Perhaps there's a formatting issue with the Memorex DVD-Rs... Good luck again!

4. Bjoanz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies!

CP, you're right, initializing the disk would be the next logical step, but, in this case, after I did select "initialize", the next message tells me that "inititializing failed. disk is locked."

I'm starting to wonder if Powerbook's remark about Memorex is really the culprit. I think I'll head back to the comp store and exchange these disks for another brand, and I'll get back to you and let you know what happens.

Thanks again!

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Try TDK, I have never gone wrong with that brand and they are usually a great price. Apple brand is pretty pricey and the only brand I've used besides the free Apple brand that came with my PowerBook is TDK so I can't recommend anything else. Macs seem to be really picky with CD/DVD-R media, unfortunately, so if you find a brand that works, I say stick with it.

6. Bjoanz thread starter macrumors newbie

Checking back in to advise that the use of TDK DVD-R's did not bring any better results.
    The SuperDrive just won't read the DVD's period.

This is frustrating, as the drive reads and writes CD-R's just fine, and my only recourse for Thursday's archiving dilemma was to burn seven CD's (which could have been captured by one DVD). Does this sound like a hardware problem to any of you? or does anybody have any other code solutions that could help me?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! :(

7. Bjoanz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, problem solved.

Evidently, with a Quicksilver G4, the DVD only writes from OS X. Don't know why, but it really doesn't matter as long as it works, huh?

:rolleyes: