Superdrive Question DVD Copying

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by b-smooth, Mar 6, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2003
    Gainesville, Fl
    So I'm still waiting for my 17in. pb and I'm new to the whole superdrive concept. Is it possibly to copy a dvd? If not directly, I know you can convert it to another format then convert it back to dvd but you lose alot when you do that. Does anyone know of a program where you could copy a movie "you already own" just to have a second copy? ;)
  2. macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Re: Superdrive Question DVD Copying

There is no direct way of doing this on a mac. Your have to have a decoder to get all the data off the disc. Once you have the data off the disc you can then burn a new disc. A warning though. Most commercial movies use in excess of 4.7GB as they are either dual layer or double sided. This means that you will have to use 2 DVDs to copy most single disc DVD movies.
  3. macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2002
    DVDBackup works very well. It creates a complete copy of the DVD (inc. menus) on your hard drive, and if it's less that 4.7GB, you can easily burn a complete, working DVD with Toast. (If it's more than 4.7, it gets a bit tricky.)

Check out the forums at They're quite helpful.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2002
    New York
    does DVDbackup create a .dmg file? or does it break the DVD down to .vob files?