Superdrive Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sammis89, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Sammis89 macrumors regular

May 30, 2005
    I just had a question... how many people who would not generally need a superdrive (people who dont do alot of DVD making) purchased a Mac with one? Also, to those who do own a superdrive, do you feel that it was worth the extra $$$ for the amount you use it?
  2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Keep in mind DVD making is not the only reason to have a superdrive, its also a lot better for backups and file storage. Personally, I wouldn't consider a computer today that didn't have a DVD burner, but thats me.
  3. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I purchased a 17" imac with a superdrive, and I do not do any dvd editing. The main reason i chose that model was for the faster system bus, and cpu. However, now that I have it, I find myself using it often enough for backup, transferring files from one computer to another, and (dont hurt me) copying dvds to warrant me buying a 50-pack of dvd-r's. SO .. if you are trying to determine wether or not you want one, my advice would be this: If it is strictly an upgrade to the optical drive, Its probably not worth it for that alone unless you plan on using it quite often. However, if it is part of a package, like the 2.0ghz 17" imac, the 14" ibook, or the larger powerbooks, it may be an added perk to getting a superior system.
  4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    I purchased an iBook G4 14" 1.42GHz and certainly didn't the SuperDrive. I could've ordered it with out the SuperDrive to make it Combo (I believe)

But wanted the SuperDrive for future backups, and maybe some future video work.
  5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    That's how I would have said it, too, though I don't fit the profile of the person in the first part of your question.
  6. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I ordered a 12" iBook w/ Combo drive.
    I figured there are better DVD-RW drives to be had than the Superdrive.