Superdrive usefullness....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ak004m, Aug 2, 2005.

1. ak004m macrumors newbie

I'm pretty much set on a 14" iBook but was thinking of downgrading to the combo drive. I have a combo drive at the moment and so far it's fit all my uses. i was just wondering what others experiences have been with the superdrive.... i know i won't be making my own movies or anything, do others think it's really worth it for just backing up and data storage or am i overlooking some other possible uses for it?.... what do you guys think?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You can back up 4.4GB on one DVD but only 700MB on a CD. If you back up a lot of data, then the Superdrive is probably for you. If not, then the combo is fine. You can always buy an external Superdrive in the future for around $150-$180 that will be at least twice as fast as the drive in the iBook.

3. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I'd agree with crazyeddie. Buy one in the future if you need it and get an external HD for backup purposes.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i use my superdrive often to back up and archive photos and videos.

if you don't need to do that, then maybe an external drive would be better- like the others suggested

5. bemylover macrumors regular

Can you copy movies from DVDs to make your own copies?

I mean legally, of course.

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Legally? Dunno? Like many people on this forum I use Mac The Ripper to rip the DVD to my hard drive and DVD2One to compress the ripped file into 4.4 GB burnable folders that can be burned to a DVD using either desktop burning or Toast. Works like a charm ;)

As far as having a SuperDrive goes I have found it invaluable to have in my PowerBook - I'm on the road a lot though and always need to burn DVDs for clients on-location. If I were buying a desktop though I probably would buy an external model.

7. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I initially used my SuperDrive primarily for backup purposes. I think the utility of it depends on the size of your photo/music/movie libraries.
    Initially, I was able to backup my entire music collection to one DVD, and my photo collection to another.
    However, as those expanded, they quickly exceeded the size of a single DVD.
    Ultimately, I decided to go the route of an external HD as a backup source.
    So now the primary use of my SuperDrive will be to burn homemade movies.
    You wrote that you aren't going to be doing that, so I would stick with the combo drive & use the $100 you save towards buying an external HD.

Best wishes!

8. bemylover macrumors regular

gracie, my friend. ppl know me in this neighborhood , so if you need anything, you can say that you're a friend of the Godfather.

9. aboutthat macrumors regular

Ditto on the external HD thing: I managed to pick up an 80GB drive for $50 bucks after rebates, works fine for storing everything. The only reason I would say spring for the superdrive would be if you plan on making DVDs of home movies, etc. since I'm guessing you don't do any really intense editing (iBook instead of powerbook/G5/etc.). A combo has worked just peachy for me.

10. ak004m thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the input..... think i'm gonna save a little cash for the moment and go for the combo drive, see how things go and go for an external in the future if i need it

11. apple4me macrumors newbie

dvd back up

looking 4 software any suggestions....have mac ripper already..but

12. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Mactheripper os the best but i know some people use a program called Hand Brake to rip there DVD's....

ShadOW ;)

13. bm7at81 macrumors newbie

Yeah, thats what i did for my PB and im already struggling for space after a week! somehow managed to use 30GB...

Anyway, im using my 30Gb Ipod Photo to backup/transfer files to/from my PC's 120GB drive and that already has a DVDRW anyway.