SuperDrive vs. CDRW usage

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Nipsy, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Since there are at least 5 topics every week regarding the SuperDrive, I wanted to get some info:

For those of you who have a SuperDrive, how often do you burn a DVD? What is the content? Do you also have a CDRW for speedy CD burns? Do you find now that you have the SuperDrive, you really seldom use it, and would prefer a really fast CDRW/Combo Drive?

For those without the SuperDrive, do you want one because it is the new gadget, or do you really plan to make a lot of DVDs? Are you aware that the SuperDrive burns CDs at only 4-8x (7-20 minutes for a full CD)? If you do get a SuperDrive in the future, would you likely also get a CDRW?

I don't need to make DVDs, but will probably own one of these in the future, whether I need it or not, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: SuperDrive vs. CDRW usage

Well - the question is what are you burning to CD-RW?

If it's data... then there's no reason not to just burn to DVD-R... 4.2 gigs of data.

arn

3. Nipsy thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Re: Re: SuperDrive vs. CDRW usage

I do a lot of music CD compilations, and once in a while, make an optical copy of my critical data. I also make a lot of data cds for corporate machines which may not have a DVD drive.

I do my regular backups to tape.

Even with 4.2GB of data on a DVD, it would still be quicker to burn 6 CDs (although more work).

4. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Re: SuperDrive vs. CDRW usage

If you're doing a lot of video work, then the Super Drive is for you. Other than that, you don't really need it...of course there's always people that have a lot of data to back up so that's also a good reason. I'm alright with the CD-R recording speed, yes, it could be faster but the 4-8X speed is decent.

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I have a Superdrive with my iMac, and I practically NEVER backup to CD anymore. As Nipsy said, it does take longer than burning to 6 or 7 CDs, but the work becomes SOOO much easier. I can just take the whole bunch of data I have, drag it over to Toast, click burn, put teh DVD in, and walk away to watch a movieorf something. And when i'm back, boom, its all done. I love it.

Also, one DVD is now the about the same price as 6 or 7 CDs, so there is no reason to go back to CDs.

irmongoose

6. big macrumors 65816

big

I have an old que drive that burns at 4x (maximum on a good day with a tail wind) so I would love any cdrw that could burn 7x or 8x.

really, how fast do I need to burn music then run out to my truck and drive around to hear it?

when I upgrade my B&W G3 it will definitly have the superdrive in it.

by the way irmongoose, what is your avatar of? (just call it avatar envy)

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i have only used a dvd once for data backup, but it was for video stuff that couldn't fit on cds because some of the clips are just too big...

and i've made probably.... 10 dvd movies over the last 9 months. which will increase soon i'm sure. as i learn dvd sp and whatnot.

irmongoose, what dvd-r brand do you use that's so cheap? i just have been using the apple ones to be safe, though i'm sure they're $$$ compared to others.

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I'm using Apple's DVD-Rs, and they are about 700 yen. One CD-R is about 100 yen. So, they turn out to be about equal...

Oh, and my avatar... it is a mongoose. Yeah I know.. weird. Visit my site, you'll see what I'm talking about: http://irmongoose.150m.com

irmongoose

9. dantec macrumors 6502a

The superdrive is great. I burn all my DVD projects (resouces and movies, pictures etc.) to the CD, after i've finished (I often do them for family, so I don't take a look at them every day). So far i've burned 4 video dvd's and 3 data dvd's.

If you play Quake the superdrive is for you. What I do is drag my whole baseq3 folder in toast (and remove pak0.pk3 of course) so that way I have all my maps. For any of the machines I play on. I also keep all my game saves, videos, documents.

I usually do a dvd backup every three months.

About having a faster CD-RW, would be nice, but do I really need it?

The Superdrive is great, I've only had one buffer underrun with a DVD once and otherwise I had a CD that messed up because toast couldn't find the file (I deleted it accidentaly before).