superdrive???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wano, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I was wondring if the superdrive that comes with the apples allow you to copy a dvd movie?...or are they made so that you can only create your own dvd's and use as storage?

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

You can copy DVDs using apps like DVD Backup (available here)

It's just a normal DVD-RW drive... so you can do anything... but since most Hollywood DVDs are 7 to 8 GB, and you can usually only get 4.7 GB DVD-Rs. And plus, many of the Hollywood DVDs are also double layered, and you can't burn double layers with a Superdrive (or any consumer DVD-R drive for that matter). So it's going to be hard finding a DVD you can burn... but they're there. I've managed to burn about 4 or 5 Hollywood DVDs myself.

The instuctions on how to burn it correctly come with the app...

Good luck :D

irmongoose

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to create a disk image of a DVD and write a DVD from that...

I see it as more of a software issue than a hardware one.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Most Hollywood DVDs come with a special lock called CSS Encryption, and so you can't copy it just like that. That's also why you can't just drag the VIDEO_TS folder out from the DVD and play it. DVD Backup removes the CSS encryption and other pesky stuff like Macrovision.

I don't think people would make software like DVD Backup if it was that simple.

irmongoose

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

People make utilities for all kinds of "simple" operations. ;)

But yeah, I forgot about the encryption on movie DVDs, though they didn't say that's what they would be copying...

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Yep - you need special software (DeCSS) to actuallly copy most commercial DVD's. But the biggest hurdle is the inability to burn more than 4.7 GB

arn

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you made a disc image you'd end up w/much more data than what can fit on a 4.7gig DVD blank.

Lethal

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

hes right, and wrong.

it is niether. it is a money issue. we dont have enough money to go buy holywood class burners.

does DVD backup spit it into 2x4.7GB partitions?? if not how do you do it?

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Of course it would...with a dual-layer disc. What about a regular single-layer data DVD? One-to-one ratio...

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't see why going from a single layer to single layer would be an issue. But with the exception some of the first DVD titles I don't think very many single layer DVDs are released. All of the "extras" take up space. Plus, it wouldn't supprise me if studios intensionally used dual-layerd discs, when a single layer would do, to help prevent piracy.

Lethal