Superduper and USB???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erkanasu, Dec 26, 2006.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Just got a sleek portable 160 GB WD HD, and it's only USB 2.0 . I also have a purchased version of Superduper. What is the best way to back up my MBP using this USB HD? I know you can make backups bootable, but I believe that's only using a Firewire HD... is that correct? Thanks!

2. cbetta macrumors regular

it's simple: you can MAKE backups on that driver, but you can't boot from them. Whenever I have a problem with my OS, I normally tend to boot into my backup and then "backup the backup" baxck to my harddrive. I dont know if superduper has its own restore function cause I never tried, but you would need to use that.

Obviously you could always start the Mac OS X install disc and use Disc Utility to restore the backup to you harddisk.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe with the transition to Intel chips that USB 2.0 is now bootable with the Intel macs. but i could be wrong...

4. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

okay cool. So ill make a back up and save it to the HD. If my HD blows up and I get a new one, I would then boot up with the OS X disk, then restore the HD using the back up copy on the external?( using disk utility or superduper ). No problems?

5. cbetta macrumors regular

Exactly!

And just for the record: my MacBook CD CAN'T boot from USB. It's a Mac thing, not a PPC vs Intel thing.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes you can.

For fun today, I just set up my 4GB Thumb Drive so that my iMac can boot from it. Works pretty well.

BTW, if you are booting to an Intel Mac, you must make a GUID partition to boot from.

7. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

8. cbetta macrumors regular

He, it works, my bad. I forgot that I never had mij external 80GB usb disk formated to HSF. Thi is good news, cause you are now good to go with superduper!

9. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502