SuperDuper backup Q's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iPhil, Mar 18, 2006.

1. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

If i already got backups on my external Harddrive

How will SuperDuper do the back-ups ??:confused:

will it erase my current back-up or make a another back-up folder?

The current back-up way is dragging the 'home' folder to external drive..

I wanna use SuperDuper for easy use and set it/forget it app :eek:

2. iPhil thread starter macrumors 68040

iPhil

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you're backing it up as a bootable clone, then SuperDuper wlll start by deleting whatever is on the drive (or partition) that you are backing up to.
    If you pay to register Superduper, then in future you can make incremental backups which only overwrite what's changed which makes it much quicker.

4. iPhil thread starter macrumors 68040

iPhil

The external drive is 1 partition and formatted in HFS+.. I got my iTunes collection/backup of another Mac system on there too ..

right now its @ 70GB free .. i wanna do bootable clone soon :eek:

5. iPhil thread starter macrumors 68040

iPhil

Got SuperDuper (free version) it'll be 1st backup wit/SuperDuper, I wanna know if Super will erase my HFS+ ext.drive its in 1 partition and i got severval backups via drag home folder on there and another "iMac G4 FP" (panther) is 60 GB backup .. So i got total 70GBs left free..

I'm using X.4.5 not panther.. Panther was my uncle's OS on the G4 FP and i upgraded that iMac to Tiger.. thats why Panther Copy is on there :eek: :eek:

Will SuperDuper use the free space or no ? :confused: :confused:

6. bluemarlinchef macrumors newbie

bluemarlinchef

I had to reformat my HD in my iBook G4 because OS X Tiger kept on crashing (i don't know why).
    Thankfully I had backed up to my external Firewire Drive with SUPERDUPER!

NOTE: MAC will only boot to a Firewire drive and not a USB
    drive!

All i did was boot up to my external drive and use disk utility to reformat my internal HD.I then installed the OS (Tiger in my case). I then booted to my internal HD with the OS X and it asked me if I had info from another drive that I wanted to transfer over. Since I did. It was easy!

It took about 45 minutes to 1 hour to transfer 50 gigs of info.

It was great! All my settings and applications where installed as if I never had to re-install my OS!

I recommend SUPERDUPER!
    Buy the complete version so that you can do quick back-ups that only write what is currently on the HD you want to back-up.

I also recommend that everyone back-up there HD's if you have important info you cannot afford to lose!

I hope this helps!

7. bluemarlinchef macrumors newbie

bluemarlinchef

I forgot to mention that on my External Firewire drive I used for backing up my HD, I have 2 partitions!

Partition 1 is for back-up ONLY! I formated it in Extended Journaled and made it the same size as my HD I back Up.

Partition 2 is with the leftover space. I use it for miscellanious items!

In my case my external HD is 300gb. My internal HD on my iBook is 100GB.

So i made partition 1 to be 100GB and partition 2 is about 197GB.

So I suggest making 2 partitions at least!

8. iPhil thread starter macrumors 68040

iPhil

SuperDuper will using only the free space and not overwrite my files ?:confused: :confused:

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No, as I said above. If you're making a bootable backup, it will wipe the partition onto which it is making the backup. You need to find someway to partition the drive so that you can keep your 'archive' files in one partition and allow Superduper to use the other