Superduper, CarbonCopyCleaner...which one will do this job ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheBrazilianGuy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2006

We need to upgrade our iMac with a new SATA drive
    but we do not have an external firewire enclosure to boot from.
    Luckily, there is a Macpro available at my work.

Question : would it be possible to perform a full copy (mirror) of one
    drive to the new one using Superduper/CCCleaner ?

Of course at the end I will have a spare SATA drive but
    at least our iMac will happier.

Thanks !

Just one more comment...
    Our iMac is a 17 inch G5 (HD replaceable).
    The Macprois an Intel Quad.
  2. kothrush macrumors member

Jul 15, 2002
    since you have PPC imac and Intel mac, it will be difficult to do this without external exclosure. there is one method which you can try using disk utility. you wont need CCC or superduper for this. you will need 6-pin firewire cable to connect mac pro to imac.

1. connect mac pro to imac via firewire. reboot mac pro holding "T" key during boot. this will boot mac pro in target disk mode , you will see mac pro hdd in imac finder.

2. create disk image of your imac old hard drive using disk utility. Its one of the options in "File" menu of diskutility. trasnfer this image on to you mac pro hard disk.

3. install new hard disk in imac. now boot imac in target disk mode by holding "T" during imac boot. you do not need to install mac os on new hard disk for this step.

4. go to disk utility in mac pro. format new hard disk of imac (make sure you use advacned tab and format it as Apple partition mac since its PPC imac). now select that imac hard disk in disk utility, click restore tab on RHS panel. it will ask you to select source and destination. drag the disk image of old imac hard disk in source and drag the new imac hard disk in destination. click restore. when its done you can reboot imac as usual and it should be all done !
  3. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Jul 24, 2006
    Hollywood, CA
    I believe kothrush got it a little backwards, you would want to start up the iMac in target disk mode, not the Mac Pro. You can't create a disk image of the iMac HD in Disk Utility while the iMac is booted off that HD. So you would install the new SATA drive in the Mac Pro, hold down the T key on the iMac to boot it into Target Disk Mode, and use Disk Utility on the Mac Pro to copy the image of the iMac's HD to the new HD.
  4. TheBrazilianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Thanks, guys. Definitely it's another plausible route. The only
    problem is the Mac Pro location...I will need to take my iMac to
    work to make this happens. Carrying just two HDs is more convenient,
    to say the least.

From what I gathered from your posts, if I plug the iMac G5's HD into
    one of the Intel Mac Pro slots its contents will not be accessible,
    and then neither one these programs will be able to copy it, right ?
    I though I could just put the two HD's inside the case and make a mirror
    copy as both drives are formatted using HFS+.

5. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    I'd say just do what kothrush suggested, except boot the iMac into Disk Target mode, not the MacPro (I'm sure that's what kothrush meant to type). But I wouldn't install the new drive to the MacPro. I'm not saying Super Macho Man's method won't work, but kothrush's just makes more sense to me.

So basically coppy old iMac drive to MacPro
    install new drive in iMac
    coppy data over from MacPro to iMac with new HD

hope this helps
  6. TheBrazilianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Excellent, I will give it a shot next Monday.

Thank you all !
  7. kothrush macrumors member

Jul 15, 2002
    Its been long time since I tracked my post. yes you are right. I wrote it backwards.

Just boot iMac in target disk mode. rest of the steps should be fine ... I hope he got it working