SuperDuper Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SamIchi, Mar 27, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I just got a new HD, and I need to back up my old one. People have suggested SuperDuper. Can you guys tell me if there's the preference to just schedule backups for certain folders, like just my iTunes stuff, regularly? Or does it just back up the whole HD?

I don't want to waste space, and just want to back my higher priority stuff. THanks guys.

And if you guys have another suggestion for backing up my HD let me hear it.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You can do pretty much any of the things you listed with the registered version. The free version is more limited. But I think its worth the $30 to get the scheduled backups and Smart Update features.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

OK Cool, I was planning on getting the full version. Thanks.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Just thinking about your situation... you may want to choose the option to just back up your home directory... [EDIT] I checked and was wrong about the statement that used to be here... sorry[/EDIT]

But I would put in a word for having a full drive clone. If you're external hard drive is large enough, I'd recommend it. I've been saved a WHOLE lot of trouble twice now by having a bootable clone. Something goes wrong and I'm back in business in an hour, exactly like I was before.. not several hours/days reinstalling every app and getting all my settings back like I wanted them.

(And in case you were wondering.. both instances were caused by idiotic things that I did, not system crashes. OS X has been rock solid for me for 3 years running.)

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea I guess that makes sense. I have plenty of space on my new HD.

6. zami macrumors regular

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Carbon Copy Cloner will do what you want for FREE.

7. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'l check CCC out.