SuperDuper! Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bill4588, Dec 11, 2006.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I just used superduper! and made a copy of my macbook's HDD because I'm getting it repaired next week. My questions is how do I get all of that info back on to my computer when I get it back? Do I have to drag and drop every single thing or is there an easier way?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Haven't tried SuperDuper. I previously had used Carbon Copy Cloner, but started having issued with it, and went [back] to Apple's Disk Utility. Its Restore works fine. Been using for quite a while. Reliable, and backup is bootable.

After partitioning your external drive (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)), uncheck "Ignore Ownership...". Then, boot off of your MacBook's OS-X install DVD (or other 3rd volume), and run Disk Utility from there. If the destination partition on the external drive is same or larger, you can do a block copy (re: faster) by checking the "erase destination" box.

To restore, again boot off the DVD, and use the Disk Utility Restore (swapping source and destination, of course).

3. danny_w macrumors 601

If you used SuperDuper! to create a bootable backup of your system the way you want it restored, then when you get your system back just boot from the external drive and do the same thing that you just did but in reverse (from external hdd to internal) and do make sure that 'full copy' is checked (not update). After it gets done the 2 drives should be identical and bootable. Then just boot from the internal drive and you are back in business.

4. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

yes. exactly what danny said. I've done it many, many times without a single problem

5. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The simplest way is to select the external in System Preferences > Startup Disk. The reselect your internal disk after you've restored. You can also hold down Option-Command-Shif-Delete during startup.

7. PillarFan1 macrumors member

hold down option while booting, and u can select the external drive

8. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

If your computer's hard drive is wiped in the repair, and you have a bootable external HD hooked up, your computer will automatically boot from it I believe (it will search for a bootable operating system).

9. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

thanks for all the help! i really appreciate it! :)