'Superman' Finally is Ready to Fly Again

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacNut, Nov 7, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

'Superman' Finally is Ready to Fly Again
    By César G. Soriano, USA TODAY

Is Superman finally taking off?

After years of delays, false starts, mounting production costs and a revolving door of players, Warner Bros. has given the green light to the first Superman film in nearly 20 years.
    New Man of Steel

Brandon James Routh
    • 25 Years Old
    • Iowa Native
    • Film Debut: 'Deadly' (2004)
    • TV Resume: 'Will & Grace,' 'Gilmore Girls,' 'Undressed,' 'One Life to Live' (fired 2002)

The Man of Steel has not appeared on the big screen since 1987's Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, starring the late Christopher Reeve. Now, all the key pieces seem to be in place.

-- Superman and his Clark Kent alter ego will be played by Brandon Routh, 25, a former soap opera star. Producers wanted an unknown, as Reeve was before he became a household name with 1978's Superman. (Related story: New guy in the cape finds he's a snug fit)

-- Bryan Singer, who parlayed the X-Men comic-book series into a successful film franchise, will direct. The new Superman story was written by Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris, who also wrote Singer's last film, X2.

-- The untitled film will begin shooting in Australia next year for release in summer 2006.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-11-04-superman-man_x.htm

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hope it's got a bit of sassiness like the first one.

Margot Kidder was great -- the casting of Lois Lane and the villains is equally important.

Was disappointed by XMen 2, saw it again recently. Po-faced and uninvolving -- loved Magneto's escape from his plastic prison, though.

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Warner Bros said they were looking for an unknown to play the part just as Reeves was when he got the role.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

6. Jaz macrumors regular

I'd heard that the film is more of a return story. Superman has been gone for some time because the world was becoming dependent on him or something like that. That way they can do an introduction story with him returning, looking different and still fit in with the narrative that was in Superman I, which Bryan Singer loved. I read that Singer even ran his plot by Richard Donner (who directed Superman I) and he liked the idea. Usual sources; Dark Horizons, Coming Soon, Superhero Hype, AICN.

Superman I is the only one that really worked or was interesting. It fell to farce in II-IV.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have mixed feelings about this. While I thought that the original Superman movies were not exactly Oscar material, they retain a special place in my childhood. I particularily enjoyed Richard Pryor (was that the first one?) and evil superman vs good superman in the junkyard (Superman III).

Still, if the recent Spiderman movies and to a lesser extent the Xmen movies are any indication, it might prove to be a decent film. Then again, there was The Punisher and DareDevil...I will keep an eye out.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I wonder how they'll do Lex Luthor. He's supposed to be balding, yet he has hair in the old Superman movies. I'm no comic reader, so I have no idea what he looked like back in the day though.

I sort of wish they'd do it as a future in the Smallville universe.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't care how bad it is. I would always go see a movie about a major superhero. I even went to Spawn - anybody remember that one? I like them because I know the characters. If it's any good, I'll like it that much better. X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, Daredevil, and yup, Superman. I was going to ask why we haven't had a Fantastic Four movie (although the Incredibles remind me a bit of F.F.), but I checked and there is one planned for 2005!

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Fantastic Four would be GREAT!!
    Some of my all time favorites.

The Superman movies were entertaining in their day, but a little silly at times. Of course its hard not to be with fantasy. However, the Spiderman movies have set a new standard for superhero movies as far as I'm concerned. I thought they were terrific.

Would really like to see the Fantastic Four though.
    Hope they don't screw it up!

11. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

I remember back in the day (early 90s) when I religiously collected comic books and was an avid fan of comics in general, they had made a low-budget Fantastic Four movie that never made it to theaters. I guess the studios scrapped it so that they could make this upcoming version. I am very much looking forward to it. With the exception of Jessica Alba being the Invisible Woman, I think the movie is perfectly cast. I'll give the Dark Angel a chance though...

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The picture of Brandon James Routh, looks like he will be a natural to play the part. Will be looking forward to seeing the movie, although it will probably be on DVD. I would imagine that Christopher Reeve would be pleased.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Here's the plot summary. Credit to IMDB.com .

Plot Summary for
    Superman Returns (2006)

In this semi-sequel to the first two "Superman" films, the classic hero returns to Earth after having been missing for six long years. What he finds astounds him - the world he knew has changed for the worse. In his absence, the forces of evil have regrouped like never before. Even Lex Luthor, once an outcast, has risen to the heights of power in Metropolis. And when an old enemy from Krypton reappears, Superman must fight his neverending battle like never before, amidst a world that has forgotten what it's like to have a hero.

Summary written by SR Hadden

The Galant Alien Hero known to the world as Superman has been missing for six years. Something happened six years ago when he gave up his powers for Lois Lane and then took them back to face the dastardly General Zod. Now people, in his absense, begin wondering if they'd have been better off if he'd never existed at all. Those thoughts are trampled when evil creeps back into Metropolis and the only one who can save them is their missing hero!

Summary written by Webathresh

Superman is blamed for the pain of the people and the destruction of Metropolis in the wake of the attacks by General Zod, Non, and Ursa. In response to his new unpopularity, he exiles himself in the Fortress of Solitude. Six years have passed, and a new threat emerges. Superman must leave his exile and battle the oncoming threat, as he is the only one who can. In this film, Superman Returns.

Summary written by Chris Clow

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Doesn't resemble the Invisible Woman in the comic, but then again, she is very easy on the eyes! :) Looking forward to this! Glad to know it is in the works!