Superman Returns

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Music_Producer, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but how many of you are looking forward to seeing Superman Returns? I know that was the first movie (Superman) I ever saw in a theatre, and my dad took me.. and obviously, that memory has remained with me since then.

Brandon Routh looks perfect for the part, but then I started googling for Christopher Reeve.. and damn! He looked great, and I don't think anyone can replace him ever, as superman. That sucks that he's not here.. :(

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't know, it seemed like it was not going to be that great, maybe because I don't like SuperMan, but X3 and Spiderman 3 both look better( but since only X3 is out, i can't tell for sure)

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yeah, I'm a sucker for superhero movies, which is also why I like James Bond movies (he's a human-style superhero), Star Wars movies, plus all the DC and Marvel comic book heros, from Superman and Batman to Spider-Man and Daredevil, plus lesser-knowns.

I saw "X-Men: The Last Stand" at the Directors Guild Theatre in Hollywood. I saw six Star wars movies (remade Star Wars IV V VI and Star Wars I II III) on their opening days in Westwood and one of the Star Trek movies on opening day at Grauman's Chinese theater in Hollywood, so you can tell I'm serious about my superheroes!

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's super-superhero-fan!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You and me both. I never read comics as a kid, but I love the movies. :cool:

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm hoping that it will be good. I've read the comics and grew up watching the old black and white Superman episodes along with the Superman movies, Superboy episodes, some of Lois and Clark, and most of Smallville.

However, every Batman movie turns me away. I guess that has to do with the comics having a set group of characters and they change too much. Spiderman and Spiderman 2 were good and they thankfully they out the stinky cigar. I don't think the actors are right but they'll go with bigger names to get financial backing. Since the new Superman goes with an unknown, I have hopes but I just hope that they kept a leash on the special effects. They're an add-on, not the star of the film.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I lost interest but i will still watch it....whatever happened to the superman that sported the black suit when he return from the doomsday fight? the underwear outside of the body stocking is past its prime.

Bless

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Are you saying that Superman shouldn't wear underwear? :D

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    oooh yeah... that was a good look but didn't one of the trailers for this one have this Superman in a black suit at some point. I used to love Superman and still have a big soft spot for him... but I'm really not sure about this movie. I like him being lusting after by/with Lois Lane... not watching her married to some other non-super guy! Poor Supes...

Goes to pull the 'Death of Superman' graphic novel out...

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I always thought it was strange that Superman had no "bulge." I guess he wasn't that super after all.

*kekeke*

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
  11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

They're showing this in iMax (3D for up to 20 minutes of it).

Pre-screenings have got mixed reviews and most are saying it's good but not great.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Boxers are better but i don't know how sane he would look wearing his boxers over his blue body suit.:)

somebody break it down for me.....where is superman returning from?

Bless

13. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

He disappeared for a few years but you find out why in the movie (no spoilers!)

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

There has yet to be a really good superhero movie

I want fracking watchmen, JLU, and Batman: Hush (hell even wargames would suffice)

Identity Crisis would be good. And the only superman main movie i would enjoy would be Red Son

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'll be going to the movie opening night with my friends - should be a fun time. I'm curious to see how this stacks up to

a) Batman Begins, because I treat this film as a similar situation (a franchise getting a fresh start.) Batman Begins was an amazing film and successfully saved the series from the crap JS put it through. The Superman franchise doesn't have that bad of a rep to overcome, although III and IV were pretty weak, especially IV...

b) X-Men III, since Bryan Singer decided to do Superman Returns over X-men III - it will be interesting to see if he "made the right call". ;) :cool:

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Your Chinese-ness is showing. :D

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I did that on purpose.....

....Hahahaha!! *snort snort*

Now I should remind you of a fat American girl.

*claps his hands and jumps up and down in a Japanese schoolgirl outfit.*

"OhhhhhhhHHHHhhhhhhh"

18. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Just Saw Supeman Returns!

It's amazing! This is Singer's best comic book film, easily beating out X-Men and X-2. I would highly reccomend it to those with reservations. We finally get a Superman flick with Lex Luthor acting like Lex Luthor and a Lois Lane that's hot. Routh did a good job; I never thought about Reeves once during the movie. I don't want to say much about it in order not to ruin it for folks. That said, go see it!

19. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That's good to hear! I must say I'm a bit of a skeptic, but if the reports continue to be good I'll go along and see it.

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just got an email through from the IMAX in London to say that they're showing Superman Returns in 3D from 14 July... Worth seeing on a giant screen in 3D?

And anyone in London fancy going along? No Pimms though :rolleyes:

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That was terrible.

I'm definitely going to see this flick later today... Bryan Singer is an excellent director and I'm hoping that, like Christopher Nolan did with Batman Begins, he restores a sense of seriousness to a franchise that went spiraling down the tubes.

22. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Im counting the hours till i go see it. Superman, Spiderman and the hulk were my 3 favorite superheroes growing up, so over the last few years I've been living large with all the movies coming out. Now Im just waiting for an Ironman movie and I can die a happy man.

Superman does indeed look pretty darn good, but have any of you seen the Spiderman 3 teaser trailer over at Apple.com? Holy crap that looks friggin AWESOME!:eek:

8.5 hours till the Supes returns for me...:D

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Let me remind people here.

This is superman we are talking about, the worst superhero ever. Even aquaman is better than superman.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=36723

That would be a real superhero movie.

Red Son would be the only good superman (as main character) movie that could exist.

I loves me some Batman: Hush

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well I got something to watch tonight then...grand.

Bless