`Superman' Star Christopher Reeve Dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by theahnman, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just heard it on the news.

link

He was a relentless spokesperson for spinal injury research. Such a shame.

2. Jedi Matthew macrumors member

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    although i didnt particularly like any of his movies, he was very inspiring the way he took up the cause after the got injured. hopefully all his work will continue

5. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I'm crushed. He will be missed; that's for sure. Superman is a huge cultural icon for those in my generation (18-30something). We all grew up with him in the backs of our minds.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

His life was too short and too tragic. Very, very sad.

But we'll always remember his crusadership for such things as stem cell and functional electrical stimulation (FES) research.

Remember when he re-made "Rear Window" with himself in the Jimmy Stewart role? I thought that was a brilliant idea.

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

RIP Christopher

His passion for his cause, and his passion for life will not be forgotten. God bless.

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Man, I just read this online. This was really shocking 'cause I assumed he was doing so well now.

Thank for doing all you've done.

R.I.P.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So sad, especially to go from a complication to an infection....and its hard to imagine for the past nine years he'd been in a wheel chair. The Superman movies were not that great, especially by todays super hero movie standards, but I'm thinking he's going to be remembered more for his work on trying to find cures for paralysis.

D

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

I heard this on the news this morning - I didn't even know that he had been fighting an infection or anything like that. It was quite a shock. I hope that the work he has been doing relative to raising money for spinal/paralysis research continues.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Its funny, I haven't heard his name for a while until John Kerry mentioned him when talking about stem cell research at the last debate, now this.

12. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I loved all the Superman movies as a kid. They were a large part of my childhood. Christopher Reeves will forever be associated with that character adn vice versa in my mind.

He will be missed.

13. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Presidential race/politcal BS aside:

WE NEED STEM CELL RESEARCH. Not just for the sake of the paralyzed, but the many other diseases that can benefit.

Christopher Reeve will be sorely missed. May he finally rest in peace

14. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Quash the political stuff NOW, folks. :mad:

It truly is a tragedy that he has passed on at such a young age and that one of the most influential and outspoken advocates for paralysis research is no longer out there fighting for what he believes.

In more ways than one, he was a superman. RIP.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace. Now he can walk in freedom and without pain. :(

17. frozenstar macrumors regular

With all due respect, Christopher Reeve should be praised for his theatrical talents, not for the "passion" that stemmed (no pun intended) from his vociferous pursuit of legislation to support stem-cell research. He did as any man would; he used finances, personal connections, and public awareness to drive support for research that would ultimately restore his health. Before he became a quadriplegic he didn't speak a single word to the public about stem-cell research.

My intention is not to minimize the man's death at all. I just think it's important that people realize that stem-cell research only became an issue for him once it directly affected him. Prior to that, he was simply a great actor.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I thought he was a fantastic Superman and enjoyed him in other roles as well he will be missed by many.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That seems to be the way that most humans react. Once affected by such an incident, then becoming outspoken on the subject. I have heard from researches that he brought the research into spinal cord injury to the forefront. Prior to him it was called an orphan disease. Because of his money and celebrity, he was able to raise money for research and treatment of spinal cord injury. My hope is that all types of treatment will be researched. Focusing just on one treatment would be a mistake.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's the way medical publicity and fundraising efforts almost always begin. People's eyes are opened to an area that needs research when it is personal -- either they are affected or somebody close to them or important to them is affected. At that point, some people just try to cope, and others jump in with two feet and do their best to help not only themselves but others suffering similar circumstances. To say that this isn't commendable isn't fair.

21. frozenstar macrumors regular

Perhaps you're right. I wasn't being entirely fair. I just want people to realize that Reeve's support for stem-cell research was driven by selfish reasons, not selfless ones. But in the process, I admit, he benefited many others. So, I partly retract my original statement. Reeve deserves some credit for his contribution to stem-cell research, just not as much as many people have implied.

I'm working my way up to diplomat status. Think I'll ever make it??? :D

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That could be. I don't know enough about his background to judge. Did he do any public service work before his accident? That's probably a better way to judge his character than what he did post-injury. Sorry to jump on you about your post; I just know that a lot of good has come out of people who combine their self interest with the public interest. It certainly gives you an incentive to do a good job!

Sure. Sounds like an interesting career to have.

23. frescies macrumors regular

I disagree and say that it is too fair. You essentially state in the above paragraph that this is the way attention to such issues almost always begins. Thus you state it is a basic, predicatble, element of STANDARD human behavior. Standard human behavior isn't commendable... It's standard. Rising above the standard; for instance, someone supporting a cause that has nothing to do with their own personal gain; is quite different. Had he stood up for this cause before his accident, or some other cause, I would consider him commendable. However, as it stands, his actions were just as commendable as my standard human behavior of "writing" my name when I have to pee in a snow laden area.