Supernova.org

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aStabell, Jun 24, 2004.

1. aStabell macrumors member

aStabell

One of my buddies told me about this and I checked it out. I was wondering if it was completely legit or if it was just a big scam?

the websight: http://www.filesharingcenter.com/index.php

PS I didn't know where to post this so I put it here.

2. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It seems too good to be true, so it probably is a pass.

5. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

It's real, but nearly everything on it is illegal.

6. smllpx macrumors member

bewarned, suprnova.org is known to be monitored by the RIAA and MPAA. I have also heard the FBI has been known to keep an eye on it, but I'm not sure if that is tinfoil hat talk.

7. Elmy macrumors newbie

I wouldn't trust a site with a girl that ugly in the right hand column :D

As for suprnova.org, I seriously doubt its being monitored MUCH by the RIAA/MPAA types. For starters, most people are only sharing between 1 and 2 files at a time, making suing them a bad option, when you could sue some Kazaa-head with 2000 songs on their disks for a LOT more money.

Secondly, BitTorrent is generally the preserve of the hardcore geek type, and has a TINY proportion of the file sharing capacity in terms of users (not sure about bandwidth, I bet they get through a fair bit hehe). The RIAA basically want to scare as many people as possible away from filesharing, so its best of going for the most populous file sharing networks.

Luckily I live in Europe, so quite far away from these evil corporate types :)

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I don't put it past the RIAA to go after the lesser folks to just put a scare in others.

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Suprnova is real. I use it all the time. 95% of the files are real. It's better because instead of downloading 1 song at a time, it downloads entire albums or several albums at once. Everything is better quality from them too. But kazaa is still better because you could download hundreds of songs at once, with suprnova you could only do 1 file at a time.

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Actually on bit-torrent you can have several downloads going at once you need to use a decent client, personally i use Azerus (spellings) it has a blue frog as the icon.

The trouble with Bit-Torrent is that as long as people seed it (make it available for upload) or are currently downloading that torrent then the upload rates are good. If they choose not to seed it, or if no one else is downloading that torrent, it wont download at all.

11. Enigma macrumors member

As do I, but didn't stop me getting caught.

I (stupidly) downloaded Norton Firewall from Suprnova. Not for me ironically enough, I've got a hardware router/firewall at home, my brother phoned me in a panic, weird popups were appearing on his computer, he'd just got ADSL and wanted a firewall. I was in my office at University (I'm a PhD student), took all of 10 minutes to download Norton Firewall off Suprnova, got a crack for it of an IRC DCC server, threw it on a CD and dropped it off to him on the way home.

A few weeks later the IT folk (and my supervisor) came through to confiscate my machine for investigation because the University had been contacted by Symantec who claimed I was illegally distributing pirated versions of their software. The thing is, to all intents and purposes I had, since Bit Torrent uploads while it downloads, so in escence I had been distributing it. I put my hands up and admitted it, stupid mistake, but explained how it worked and that I wasn't running a warez server.

If i had done it at home I'd have been fine, but the fact I was at a University (with an .ac.uk address), made it easily traceable, and the University is responsible for everything that happens on their network, so it's an easy place to target.

In the end, it was dealt with internally by our department, they accepted I had no malicious intent, it was a stupid mistake and no actions other than a verbal warning were taken, and I was told that if anything like this ever happens again, it will be dealt with at a University level, and I'll probably be kicked out.

Bit of a wake up call I tell you, so from now on, no downloading anything non-legit from a University computer.

So don't assume that because you're outside of the US you're safe.

12. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

at suprnova.org I love their mac section.... I mean... o S*** !!! (knock knock.... .*Smash* Boom Boom.... Gunshot** Scream ) ... :rolleyes: ;)

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well, lets hope they give him access to an attorney. :D

14. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I love Suprnova.org. High quality downloads, be they DiVx or MP3's (usually encoded in no less than 192). Full albums and a great community of users.

Don't let the powers that be intimidate you with fear. Agreed that it probably isn't a good idea to Torrent at work. Afterall, it's not your network and I'm not a fan of imposing your politics on your employer. But at home, Bit Torrent can be a great tool.

15. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yes, I'm a big fan of suprnova.org. I usually don't use suprnova for sharing copyrighted material, but rather I use it to downlad TV shows, like the Chappelle Show, 60 Minutes, and such. I hate being boxed in buy my cable company and having to watch stuff on their schedule, and that's why I don't hardly ever watch anything other than Fox. And I'm to cheap to afford TiVo.

16. smllpx macrumors member

Elmy, let me assure you that I have heard of several accounts of people, I personally know, who have gotten nasty-grams from their ISP because the MPAA, RIAA, or a software company has complained. People who were even running Azureus with SafePeer have even gotten letters. I am not saying for sure you will get picked, but you are running the risk. Suprnova is well known to the MPAA and the RIAA and they have been taking action. But if you don't believe me, go ahead download like mad... right Enigma?

17. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Just to clarify, those TV shows you mentioned are, of course, copyrighted. I am not sure if actually downloading them is illegal, but offering them for download (uploading) definitely is.. and with BitTorrent there is no downloading without uploading. (Not that it stops me... but at least I don't claim it's not illegal)

18. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yea, well I guess you could say that. For me, being a student, I don't always have time to sit down right at 7:30 just to watch something; I might have a test or other homework that I need to do. So downloading it gives me the convenience to watch the show when ever I want. I'm not burning the show to a CD and giving that CD to a ton of people, I watch the show and then delete it. I could argue that this is the same thing as recording recording the show on TiVo and then trasnfering it to my computer. And for the record, I'm only downloading on BitTorrent; in BitTorrent there is a way to completley stop uploads. So I guess you could technically not sharing the file. And guess what? I just finished downloding Slackware 10, time to install! And anyone who wants to downlad Slackware 10, do it now!!! I got an average downlad speed of 165 KiB!

Anyways, I'm going on a tangent, back to the original subject. :)

19. kanker macrumors 6502

I honestly hope that all of you who are file sharing copyrighted files get what you deserve meaning jail time and massive fines. There are a whole bunch of people who frequent these kinds of boards whose living is made thanks to the strength of copyright law, and proudly admitting your theft is probably not the smartest idea in the world. :mad:

20. zami macrumors regular

Never wish jail on someone. We can all end up inside one day for any number of reasons. Stanford experiment ring a bell?

21. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Thanks for thinking that through... the only thing that downloading television shows from BitTorrent deprives anyone of is the Nielsen ratings (and if you had a nielsen box, you wouldn't be downloading the shows) and the potential, imaginary revenue derived from the commercials that are cut out. Now, since you can't live in a Western society without being deluged with commercials anyway, that means you are only deprived of the commercials (oh sorry, the "impressions") that are shown/aired/exposed ONLY during the episodes I happen to download (Kingdom Hospital, and in the past, Tru Calling), since I will be exposed to them in a hundred other mediums. And since I also buy the DVDs of series I like when they are released, the studios still get their money.

This boils down to you suggesting that I be sent to jail for the heinous crime of not watching commercials.

22. applekid macrumors 68020

The karma levels are dropping...

To any moderator, throw this into the Wasteland already.

23. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Alright, I'll start the argument. I could go out and buy a TiVo or an adapter to plug into my computer that would easily let me record TV shows on my Mac. Is it legal to watch TV on my Mac? Yes, it is legal. Is it legal to save a perticular TV show on my hard drive? Yes, it is.

So can you tell me what the difference is between downloading it off the internet and recording a TV show to a tape that could be played on my VCR? (or DVD player, TiVo, ect.)

And I hardly doubt I'm going to get Larry King fired from his job for downloading his interview with Clinton. I simply want to watch the news on my own schedule.

Honestly, if it makes you sleep better, instead of downloading it, I'll set the VCR.

I think people are starting to think that if they see 'download' and 'music/movies/TV shows' in the same sentance, they immeaditly think it has something to do with breaking the law.

And I never said that I was 'proudly admitting to theft.'

Any replies or retorts are welcome. :)

24. applekid macrumors 68020

There is one of those laws that does entitle you to record TV shows and other media for your own personal use. So, yes, you don't have to fight anybody or anything off.

However, the distributor is the one that is questionable. So with that in mind, move forward with our discussion.

25. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

The difference is that since someone is ILLEGALLY distributing it, you are illegally acquiring it. Thus breaking the law.

Furthermore on a bittorrent client you are uploading while downloading further implicating you.

That being said, I also download using bit torrent, I just have no delusions or false justifications about what i'm doing. So i'm not telling you not to do it, just not to try and come off like you're doing nothing wrong. Some people are incredibly sensitive on this topic and we don't want a flame war.

Most of the time they are, unless the copyright holder releases or licenses it for distribution and/or is the one distributing it then it's probably ILLEGAL.