Support ATM for OS X! Sign the petition!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eyelikeart, Nov 4, 2002.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

For all of u designers out there who were bummed out at having to switch from ATM to Suitcase...

http://www.atmforosx.org/

2. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Support ATM for OS X! Sign the petition!

totally signed.

m

3. Skandranon macrumors regular

Please sign it!

I've been there at least five times over the course of the past few months... if you're reading this, take two minutes out of your day to help in our efforts to restore one of the most valuable utilities that has ever existed on the Mac.

Adobe: If you're reading this, get your ass on bringing us ATM. For the love of God!

4. vitruvius macrumors regular

5. Wash!! macrumors 6502

never had love for ATM

I like suitcase so I do not care.

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I don't really care either way, but I joined the cause and signed it. Good luck.

7. JupiterZen macrumors regular

Re: Support ATM for OS X! Sign the petition!

Just wondering why people think Suitcase is so bad?

I used ATM under OS 7/8/9 and was a little worried when I read there wouldn't be an OS X version. I switched to Suitcase for OS X and it works the same, does the same and seems to do the job for me.

So why is eveybody complaining so hard?

[edit]
    But I must admit that Extensis could do something about the speed. But it has never crashed on me ones. And I have a have a rather large archive of fonts.
    [/edit]

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

9. Rogue macrumors newbie

Font reserve is a good option

Suitcase is not the only font manager out there.
    Font Reserve works good.

10. jkojima macrumors regular

Okay, it's signed. Of course, just be thankful that you don't use Windows. I'm struggling with the built-in font management (or more accurately, the absence of any management features.) I may be wrong, but I think ATM for Windows development was halted long ago.

Unfortunately for the petition, I think ATM might not fit with Adobe's "Network Publishing" strategy. That being said, it'd be great if they could at the very least sell off the product to another developer.

There's obviously still a market for this product, albeit a relatively small niche one.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

We really don't want ATM, we just want Deluxe. :) Mac OS X has the equivalent of ATM built-in to render fonts and such, but it lacks the management capabilities of Deluxe.

12. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

we want it because...

1) ATM is much quicker, and allows duplication of fonts within sets (useful when running different versions of fonts from multiple clients, etc)

2) ATM is less likely to crash due to a corrupt font than Suitcase (it also will run more fonts than Suitcase, in my experience).

3) Adobe Type Reunion, which runs along with ATM, allows for stashing all fonts of the same name w/variations in their own folders within applications (rather than giving me a list of every damned font in a HUGE list that goes on forever!)

4) I've been using ATM for 4 years now, and have no desire to give it up due to ignorance on Adobe's part.

so who else has their reasons? ;)

13. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Re: we want it because...

In a nutshell you want Type Reunion not ATM I had use both and found Suitcase to be better just the main window gives you a preview of the font you'd selected as ATM makes you open a whole new window also suitcase allows you to print font books and auto-activates fonts as you need then in the document.
    One thing, I do miss type reunion but in OSX if the program uses OS X font management features the fonts show up their variations. ei InDesign works fine as well as Illustrator and photoshop but freehand does not (hello!! Macromedia are you there?)
    Cheers

14. Inhale420 macrumors regular

dont you think it's a little too late? i use suitcase now, which makes font previewing a lot easier. no point in switching, and then switching back

15. Inhale420 macrumors regular

Re: we want it because...

these points don't make sense since ATM for os x doesn't exist. you can't compare performance from the 9.x version of ATM to extensis for os x.