support call charges?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joebells, May 22, 2006.

1. joebells macrumors 6502

My girlfriends iMac has been just shutting down periodically. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it does it but it seems to go in spurts. It will keep shutting down in a period of like 2 or 3 days and then be fine for a couple of weeks. Then start acting up again. Just recently its had a couple of times where it won't even start back up, we've had to pull the power cord for a little while and plug it back in and then it starts back up.

The serial number doesn't fall within the range shown for the ones with the power supply problem. So my concern is when we call for support how do we guarantee they won't charge us for the call?

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

My experience with apple tech on the phone. They tell you they're gonna charge you you say no thanks, and hang up. Call again, and they never said that twice, and thus never charged me.

However, I've had more help from the Genius Bars in apple stores. The phone tech people will probably listen to you, and tell you to take it there.

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

On the phone with Apple can be a pain in the ass - go to the Apple Store. :)

4. joebells thread starter macrumors 6502

3.5 hours away thanks for the replies. Guess I'm gonna call and see.

5. joebells thread starter macrumors 6502

called and the referred to a local authorized dealer and I just took it in. They didn't even say anything about the call possibly costing money just asked what the problem was.