supposed Leopard screenshots - technical discussion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vniow, Jun 23, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

The debate is still on whether these are real or fake but it has some pretty interesting concepts in it regardless, specifically the shot of IE7 running under the Mac OS interface, natively.

My question is, is this techically feasable? We all know of virtual machines like VMware and Parallels which can run a guest oprtaing system independently of the native one inside its own seperate application. What this screenshot shows is a Classic style setup, where native Windows apps are somehow "tunnled" through OS X and interact like a regular app, albeit with a slightly different interface. Could this actually be done with Windows? Classic (I assume) worked because the systems were similar enough, Windows and OS X are pretty different.

Someone posted a link to a description of an Intel patent which is called “Method, apparatus and system for transparent unification of virtual machines.” which seems to describe this setup pretty well. That and Apple themselves filed their own patent for tamoer-resistant code which mentions running two operating systems side by side.

It looks like somehting is going on but it looks like we'll have to wait until at least WWDC to figure it out but that doesn't mean we can't speculate. This is Macrumors after all. ;)

So here's the question, with current technology (virtualisation, etc) is it possible to run Windows through OS X a la Classic? Or is it more likely we're going to see more of a VMware/Parallels setup in which they're more seperate?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's been a while since I tried it, but if memory serves (and sometimes it doesn't), when using VPC some apps I had running would show up in my Dock and I could switch to them just by clicking on the icon (focus would change to VPC & the app).

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I don't think there is much more to add - that link describes it pretty thoroughly, and the screenshots do give you an idea of how it would work. Exciting stuff, but only time will tell if this is what is in store for us with Leopard...

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wine can do it on Linux, but then it is managing the "Windows" windows, not the Windows window manager. It's probably possible with "real" Windows as well if you are the process that Windows is running it, although it might need special drivers installed on Windows.

5. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

True. But from the screen shots it seems that a Windows installation is needed. Wine doesn't need a copy of Windows installed to work.