Supreme Commander on MBP (or any Mac)?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spartacus, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Spartacus macrumors member

Nov 28, 2004
    Hey folks. I have a 1.83GHz Macbook Pro w/x1600 128mb, 2gb RAM and I want to play Supreme Commander. I've tried to google some player experiences but have found very little. What is the gameplay going to be like on my machine? Furthermore, it would work pretty well for me to hook-up my DLP as a second monitor and have that be my tactical map and use my main laptop LCD as my gameplay screen. Does anyone have any experience using a DLP for this type of thing in gaming?

2. Funkatation macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2001
    at moderate detail settings and at 1440x900 on my MBP 2.16, 2GB, X1600w/256mb I was averaging 10fps on the first campaign mission. It seemed playable though. Most definitely turn shadows off... I doubt it would work well with the 2 screens, especially with only 128mb vram.
  3. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2007
    I assume you guys are running SC on the Windows side of a partition of your MacBook's hard drive?

If so, maybe you can help. I'm having trouble starting it up. I just installed it and it keeps having an error and closing quickly, saying something about not meeting the system requirements.

Any ideas? I'm running...
    15" MacBook Pro
    2.16 Intel Core Duo
    1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM

My only guess is that there is not enough memory on the Windows partition...

Any ideas guys? Thanks.
  4. macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2007
  5. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2007
    Well, the hotfix didnt solve my problem. :( I'm still getting an error saying that my system doesnt meet the minimum requirements which doesnt make sense to me.:confused:

I emailed THQ support. Hopefully they can sort this out. It is what they are paid to do after all. :)

Thanks for the suggestion though!
  6. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    And before anyone comes in asking - no - it won't run on a Macbook :) Believe me I tried it ;)
  7. macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2007
    Such an error makes clear sense to me... it's Windows, isn't it? ;)

Please let me know what you find out from THQ support team.
  8. voyagerd macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    I was running the Supreme Commander beta 20 on a Core Duo 2GHz iMac at 1680x1050 at max settings and EVE Online at the same time. When I just ran Supreme Commander, it ran pretty well. I can't tell you about the final version since I only have PPC Macs now.
  9. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2007
    What did you try and how did you decide when to give up? I dont mean to be annoying or anything I just really want to play this... lol.

How much memory did you have on your windows partition?
  10. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    I installed the demo.
    It said it didn't meet the requirements and wouldn't load.
    Got bored and gave up.
  11. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks LastLine, I'll let you know what THQ's support says when they get back to me.
  12. Stacc macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2005
    I am running supcom on a 2 ghz core duo mbp with 128 mb vram. I can run it at medium settings(no shadows) at 1280x800 with decent frame rates. I don't have any definate numbers but I have played a number of games with many units and never found it unplayable. Having the dual core processor really helps with this game.

That said, this is an awesome game and has brought back my love of strategy games.
  13. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2007
    Since you seem to have the same setup i do, would you mind helping me talk through this stuff to find my problem?:confused:

So you used Boot Camp to install Windows XP on a partition right? and did Supreme Commander launch just fine after installing it?

Did you download any Windows updates? driver updates? anything like that?

Thanks alot.
  14. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Go to the GPGNet forums (official SC forums). There are lots and lots of people talking about performance over there.

SC is quite likely the most demanding PC game in existance right now. No system can get a consistent, smooth framerate (not even with the Nvidia 8800). It runs pretty OK on my Mac Pro with the graphics options pumped up. Not "smooth" but never unplayable (so far!).
  15. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2007
    I'm not having trouble with performance. Not yet anyway. I cant even get the thing running.
  16. Gurutech macrumors 6502

Jan 22, 2006
    with my CD Macbook Pro.. 1.83 CD, 128 Mb x1600, and 1.5 Gig ram,
    I played 2 vs 4 each with 500 unit cap on 40 x 40 map.
    (my friend and I vs 4 supreme AI comp)

all setting to lowest,
    let's say this.
    it was brutal at the end.

i want macpro
  17. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2007
    Well, I re-partitioned my harddrive and started over basically. Now everythign works great!

Not sure what the problem was; must not have installed some drivers properly.

Loving SC! Thanks for y'alls help.:D
  18. macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2007
  19. kd5ftn macrumors newbie

Dec 11, 2006
    Works for me!

I've got a 24" iMac at 2.16ghz with 2GB ram and the Gefore 7600GT.

I just tested the demo on a very fresh/clean Boot Camp load of XP/SP2

I'm able to play at full-res (1920x1200) on my primary screen with full-res (1280x1024) going at the same time on my secondary monitor.

This is with the default settings, most things at high. I'd say I was averaging 15-20FPS - Playable, but not entirely smooth.

Some tweaking and even lowering resolution could seriously bring this game up to speed. I'm happy!
  20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    SupCom is a very processor intensive game, sure graphics matter but less than in most recent games.

Why?-Well the grphx in SupCom are nice but theyre not amazing they cant be considering the size of the game, so the game is not grphx intensive so though graphics cards make a difference (a big difference) it's not nearly as big a difference as it would be in Com+Conc 3 or Brothers in Arms.

So the brunt of the work falls on the processor, which has to figure out how the thousands of units move and interact with their enviroment. Adding more to that simulation load is the fact that the path of every projectile is simulated (unlike the rock paper scisors setup in most rts games,) and thats a major processor load.