Supreme Court agrees to hear Anna Nicole Smith case

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Sep 27, 2005.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Supreme Court agrees to hear Anna Nicole Smith case
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Playboy model Anna Nicole Smith is going to the Supreme Court.

Justices said Tuesday they would consider Smith's appeal over the fortune of her 90-year-old late husband. The stripper-turned-reality television star stands to get as much as $474 million if she wins at the high court and gets a bankruptcy court judgment reinstated. The case will be argued before the Supreme Court early next year.

She has not gotten any money from the estate of J. Howard Marshall II, an oil tycoon who married her in 1994 when he was 89 and she was 26. Marshall, one of Texas' wealthiest men, died in 1995.

At issue for the court is a relatively mundane technical issue: When may federal courts hear claims that are also involved in state probate proceedings. But the facts of the case are eye-catching.

The 1993 Playmate of the Year and self-described "blonde bombshell" claims her husband promised her millions but that his scheming son cut her out of the estate.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-27-anna-nicole_x.htm

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

As much as I think Anna is a tramp, she's deserving of the money owing her.

3. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

4. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

But the question remains a 26yr old bloke marrying an 86 yr old woman would it be worth it :eek: , especially for 474 million

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Wonder if he died in bed...

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I find Anna Nicole Smith so repellent that I think I would find it hard to marry her in order to inherit 400-odd million.

maybe with earplugs and an unlimited supply of 151.... :rolleyes:

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree w/ the others...

If there was no pre-nup then she should have gotten some of the 'spoils.' And I find her voice and mannerisms annoying, and had only seen her in her, um, 'larger' state but I saw some older photographs and she really was good looking in her prime.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if they have 1,900 to choose from, why this one? aren't there more important things to be done?

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I can't help but to think that so much in our society today is focused around marketing-- I guess the same goes for the way our government is run. Everybody wants some publicity.

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

They better get a Chief Justice quick because Anna wants her money. :rolleyes:

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

oh the poor thing :mad:

13. mac-er macrumors 65816

If the SC chooses a case, it means it will have far-reaching implications.

If this was just about Anna Nicole getting her money, they wouldn't hear it.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It could just be that they want to lay the smack down on the 9th circuit again.

:)

Its a question of federal involvement in a state probate case and does a california appeal court have jurisdiction over a texas will.

15. katchow macrumors 6502

Too bad this came so late. Woulda' been a good question at the Roberts hearings; "Mr. Roberts, can you tell us where you stand on Anna Nicole"?

"Wherever she lets me :) [rimshot]. Thanks, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your congressmen"

16. mus0r macrumors regular

I would have to agree with the previous posters that the money was "earned." Furthermore, I would find it hard to believe that *any* 90 year old man would *not* give vast riches for one last piece...I mean, let's face it, a man's a man no matter how old he is :D

I also would find it hard to believe that a woman wouldn't sleep with some old geezer for a year if it meant never working another day for the rest of her life. I'd bang a zebra if it meant retiring before 30 and being able to buy anything my little heart desired :eek:

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think that Anna was that smart to think of that. She just saw an old guy that wanted to give her things. :)

18. katchow macrumors 6502

plenty of guys would 'give her things'. this guy happen to be filthy rich and close to death. if you ask me, it was calculated gold-digging on the part of Anna.

That doesn't make her a genius but it does speak volumes of her character.

19. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    IIRC, she worked at a strip club when they met and she turned down his advances for quite some time, even knowing that he was filthy rich. She eventually gave in, obviously, and he decided to leave her his entire fortune. That pissed his kids off, so they took Anna to court saying that she withheld sex and affection from him until he signed over all his money.
    I personally find it hard to believe that a man that could buy a harem full of women would be taken down by a Texas stripper. The man just didn't like his kids much.

20. katchow macrumors 6502

i agree w/ that, i wouldn't say he was a victim. i can't pretend that she was doing anything more than whoring herself for money either.

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yeah well, there are plenty of women (and men) out there who would have 'whored' themselves out for less... ;)

22. katchow macrumors 6502

true. i'm not the moral superior either. i'm just amazed at her continued fame. pop culture astounds me :confused:

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Haha, aren't we all wonderful? I'm just as much to blame as the 'crazy lady' at the grocery stand buying up all the tabloids-- if I'm at the doctor's office I'll browse through People or US. :eek: Okay, and I admit it... I'm a sucker for those TV shows that break down a celebrity's lifestyle (as in how they spend their money). Sigh. To be so rich.

24. katchow macrumors 6502

well, i'm here talking about it, more fodder for the mill ;)

i get sucked into the shows sometimes too, kinda like a sore tooth i can't stop playing with :p

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Perhaps Clarence "Longdong" Thomas had something to do with choosing this case... ;)