Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Is anyone interested in the rumored Surface Phone?

I am ready to try something new and after getting the surface pro 4, I've been thinking about the Lumia 950XL and they are going for $399 right now. But I think I'll wait to see if Microsoft releases the Surface Phone. This could be interesting.

Any Lumia 950XL users here? How is W10 Mobile?

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Based on how good the Surface Pro is, the idea of a Surface phone is actually pretty enticing to me. I like Windows 10 a lot and like the tablet interface, and case see how nice it would be on a phone. BUT... the app market just isn't there for Windows. For instance, there's no Apple Music on Windows mobile, which is a major problem to me. I can pretty easily slide over to Android without giving up much, but moving to Windows 10 mobile would be a struggle. Microsoft is going to have a hard time convincing people to make the switch, regardless of how awesome the phone actually is.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Is anyone interested in the rumored Surface Phone?

I am ready to try something new and after getting the surface pro 4, I've been thinking about the Lumia 950XL and they are going for $399 right now. But I think I'll wait to see if Microsoft releases the Surface Phone. This could be interesting.

Any Lumia 950XL users here? How is W10 Mobile?
Not me. I don't think that I would enjoy a phone that requires near-daily updates, driver updates that break functionality, requires desktop apps for functionality, and that has a fan.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The trend has been converging stand-alone devices such as phone, GPS, camera, PMP, media player, flash light, calculator, etc. into one device so I like the idea of taking it one step further to converge Windows laptop features that run full desktop software into Surface Phone. Vision I have is to come home or to the office and without taking the Surface Phone out of pocket can automatically pair with wireless keyboard, mouse and display over something like WiGig. Do work and walk out the door and it knows to sync data to the cloud and suspend the session. Equivalent terminals can be used at public places like Starbucks with option to buy low cost laptop shells if you prefer your own. Galaxy Note would become a secondary device when this happens.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Maybe interested, but Microsoft isn't doing anything today that makes me feel like a phone released in 18 months will be better than the 950XL. I don't mean specs, but the app selection, lack of google support, lack of x86 support, etc. It's like MS is shooting themselves in the foot before they even put their foot forward. Still there are a few things which might make me turn my head, a built in kickstand and digitizer/stylus for starters.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The Microsoft under Nadella is a different company with more focus on services. For the Surface Phone they could to run Android instance for the phone and use Windows x86-64 desktop for laptop instance. Using Microsoft or Google services it would be transparent under both instances. With Intel going 10nm and in bed with ARM again a x86-64/ARM hybrid SoC would be ideal for a product like this and a variation of the big-Intel little-ARM concept.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The Microsoft under Nadella is a different company with more focus on services. For the Surface Phone they could to run Android instance for the phone and use Windows for laptop instance. Using Microsoft or Google services it would be transparent under both instances. With Intel going 10nm and in bed with ARM again a x86-64/ARM hybrid SoC would be ideal for a product like this and a variation of the big-Intel little-ARM concept.

Which asks the question why are they bothering keeping windows mobile alive? They have all of their subscription services available on all the other platforms, and sometimes with better functionality. Really the only thing windows mobile has that is unique is the Edge browser, and if MS was smart they will port that as well. MS didn't keep it's goodies only for it's own OS, which is a smart move in their subscription/cloud strategy. With Windows they need PC's to survive in order to have something to install Windows on, although even this is becoming less true as subs/cloud services can run on other OS' which are gaining popularity.

So yeah, I see a surface phone without x86 support as dead on arrival, just like windows RT was.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Used to love the idea of Windows Phone. No point now. Zero developer support, and MS's own updates are slow and ineffectual.

Pass.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I agree Windows Phone on ARM is a dead-end if a Surface Phone x86-64 that can run desktop software materializes but Microsoft can't retire it just yet until a replacement solution is offered. What's holding everything back is just waiting for technology to evolve to miniaturize a Surface Pro down to smartphone size and battery life consumption.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I agree Windows Phone on ARM is a dead-end if a Surface Phone x86-64 that can run desktop software materializes but Microsoft can't retire it just yet until a replacement solution is offered. What's holding everything back is just waiting for technology to evolve to miniaturize a Surface Pro down to smartphone size and battery life consumption.

Intel has given up on x86 smartphones.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Which asks the question why are they bothering keeping windows mobile alive? They have all of their subscription services available on all the other platforms, and sometimes with better functionality.
Microsoft has some corporate contracts that obligate them to continue some presence. They are also of the mindset to keep a finger in the pie in the hopes/possibility that their competition will stumble. There are some projects in the works that may be released but be dead-on-arrival due to project momentum/inertia.

Really the only thing windows mobile has that is unique is the Edge browser, and if MS was smart they will port that as well. MS didn't keep it's goodies only for it's own OS, which is a smart move in their subscription/cloud strategy. With Windows they need PC's to survive in order to have something to install Windows on, although even this is becoming less true as subs/cloud services can run on other OS' which are gaining popularity.

So yeah, I see a surface phone without x86 support as dead on arrival, just like windows RT was.
I'll say that there is no possibility of such a phone (x86 support, etc.) being released. It is one of the reasons why Joe Belfiore rode off into the sunset.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'll say that there is no possibility of such a phone (x86 support, etc.) being released. It is one of the reasons why Joe Belfiore rode off into the sunset.

But Belfiore is the face of Windows Phone while Panay is the face of Surface line and still around.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Plus the fact that Microsoft has abandoned it's windows mobile users again and again, I would think they are down to maybe 3 or 4 loyal users in the entire world. Pay $800 for a phone and suddenly get support dropped like a hot potato and you don't forget that easily.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
You're not alone. I'd switch carriers for a Surface Phone.

Wow... Now, that's love.

I'm thinking about getting the 950XL right now since it's only $400 (I know, I know... "only") just to give it a try and see if it could replace the iPhone. What do you think? Pros, Cons?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Wow... Now, that's love.

I'm thinking about getting the 950XL right now since it's only $400 (I know, I know... "only") just to give it a try and see if it could replace the iPhone. What do you think? Pros, Cons?

Only con is lack of apps. But that's a huge con for myself.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Wow... Now, that's love.

If you have the money, you should go for it. The biggest issue will be apps, but you probably know that already. From all accounts, the hardware is good. And Redstone 2 is supposedly focusing on mobile. Microsoft was even able to fix the update problem, they update their own phones from what I hear.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Only con is lack of apps. But that's a huge con for myself.

Understandable. Personally, I checked and every single app that I actually use is present. I don't use a lot of apps. This whole thing started with Surface Pro 4, so maybe I just need to wait for the love affair to be over and return to all-Apple ecosystem. Then again, complicating a life is just so much fun :D

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
If you have the money, you should go for it. The biggest issue will be apps, but you probably know that already. From all accounts, the hardware is good. And Redstone 2 is supposedly focusing on mobile. Microsoft was even able to fix the update problem, they update their own phones from what I hear.

Yeah, I am due for an upgrade. I just bought the Apple battery case for the iPhone 6, which is what I'm currently using, because the battery wasn't lasting anymore. The way I see it, I could always revert back to the iPhone. I could jump back on a new iPhone within a year and still have the same cost of ownership because the Lumia is half the cost of the iPhone.

Plus it's a business write off... That's how I justify spending money on tech for work :)
[doublepost=1472075419][/doublepost]
I'd wait for the Surface Phone to surface unless you like to throw away money.

What if the Surface phone never surfaces or surfaces late in 2017. On the surface, waiting seems like a good idea. Then again, how many people are still waiting for the MacBook Pros to surface. Surface to say it's been a while. Can I say surface just one more time? LOL

Surface!

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If you want something now why not a new Note 5 for probably the same money as 950XL. The plus is it's pen based for working in OneNote like on your Surface Pro 4. Makes for a better companion to Surface Pro 4 than 950XL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.