Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why do people keep comparing the Surface Pro to a MBA when they run different software? Shouldn't it be compared to an Ultrabook or similar PC OEM hybrid device?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why do people keep comparing the Surface Pro to a MBA when they run different software? Shouldn't it be compared to an Ultrabook or similar PC OEM hybrid device?

Maybe because 1) this is a mac forum and 2) people are answering the thread OP title / post ?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Dude...why do you get this way? Anyone that disagrees with your POV and you drone on endlessly...... So you can take pictures and video with your 11 inch MBA? C'mon stay on topic and at least admit when your wrong. The SP2 offers much more options and versatility than the MBA11. Just because you don't use them doesn't mean others won't. Just because you might not like something doesn't mean other share that like or dislike. :rolleyes:

Get like what? I'm offering my opinion, same as you. And how am I not staying on topic? I'm discussing the two products the OP inquired about. Difference is I'm not crying like a baby about it because someone doesn't agree with me. Seems someone is droning on about being disagreed with and it's not me--haven't mentioned it once. Let me show you how this works.

One person offers an opinion, another replies and disagrees, the original poster rebuts the reply. Maybe the second personal replies again. :eek: It's called a DISCUSSION. OP asked opinion, I'm giving it. You don't like it, stop replying, plain and simple. My guess is you won't because you can't stand not having the last word.

And yes, the SP2 offers more options, you're right (feel better?). A Swiss Army knife has all kinds of options, doesn't mean I'm going to use its tools to repair my car or its knife to cook my dinner. Problem is even with all of those options, I think (see not forcing my opinions on anyone, OP can take an do with it whatever he want) the SP2 still is a device full of compromise. And based on how well it's selling, I'm not the only one.

----------

Works fine on my Yoga. In fact that's all I use in desktop or tablet mode.

Great, glad it works for you. I didn't like using it on the Surface Pro 2, formatting made everything too small and touching links was very inconsistent. Maybe I've just become accustomed to using the tablet versions found on the iPad and Android tablets.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

I think you are getting confused? The Microsoft Surface Pro range are full blown PCs in the form of a tablet that run full Windows like any other PC. Hence the comparison.

And as I mentioned, a MBA can run both OS X and Windows. Can the Surface Pro do that?

Yes it is, and in my opinion, not a very good one. The best functionality offered by the SP2 is in the Desktop mode and to use it as a tablet in Desktop mode is awful. It's better when mimicking a laptop propped up using the stand and a keyboard cover, but not as good as a laptop itself would be. Either use, tablet or laptop, is subpar. Shuri said it best in his post:

Fine, where can I buy the Power Cover right now? ;)

Well first you should double check the specs of the MBA as it comes with an i5, upgradable to an i7 CPU. And according to the Apple Store UK site, the base configuration costs £849 (i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD). And if you insist the battery life is comparable with the Power Cover, you better include the price of that instead of the Type 2--likely at least £199. That makes the difference nearly £150, not insignificant.

I've acknowledged that's a check in the SP2's favor, but only if you need the stylus functionality--most don't.

I understand much of this is about preference and that certainly should take precedence for each individual buyer. The OP asked our opinion about these 2 devices right now (not in the future when they may/may not improve) and I offered mine. That all. You find more value in the Surface Pro 2, that's great, hope you're able to get one at a good price.

----------

Yes, you can install the desktop versions--absolutely horrid to use when using the SP2 as a tablet.

You can't speculate on the price of the powered type cover or use the fact it isn't on sale in your post, because it is real and will be put on sale but they haven't announced pricing for it yet.
And yes it is all about opinion at the end of the day. I like the Surface design and plan to sell my MacBook Pro to get one, I do also want a new Mac Pro mind which is the only Apple computer that interest me really.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Seriously? No wonder these things aren't selling. Anyone spending $1200 on a Surface when you can get a much better built laptop with better specs for half the price is seriously on drugs.

It's a different usage scenario. If someone is buying a surface ONLY as a laptop replacement and NEVER to be used as a tablet, then you are 100% correct. Unfortunately situations are almost never black and white like that.

The surface is a poor laptop, and a semi-poor tablet. But the Air is not even a poor tablet, it's not a tablet at all and never will be. Depending on how you use your computer will dictate which device will be better for you.

Personally I ditched both of them and use an Atom tablet. I can pop it into a keyboard setup and make it exactly like a laptop, plus I can use it as a tablet, touchscreen, use my stylus and Wacom digitizer to draw, take notes etc etc. It's lighter, thinner, at least the same battery life if not better at half the thinness/weight, with keyboard battery that can almost be double the battery life, etc etc.For my needs it trounces the Air soundly, and then some.

----------

Don't forget that you can load Windows onto the MacBook Air, this is the only way I'd ever own one (and did own 3 of them in the past). I think it's a valid comparison, although it does get a bit weird since the surface is a sort of hybrid. But for the price/functionality/power I think it's a fair comparison for someone looking to spend in that 1k+ range.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
snip

Personally I ditched both of them and use an Atom tablet. I can pop it into a keyboard setup and make it exactly like a laptop, plus I can use it as a tablet, touchscreen, use my stylus and Wacom digitizer to draw, take notes etc etc. It's lighter, thinner, at least the same battery life if not better at half the thinness/weight, with keyboard battery that can almost be double the battery life, etc etc.For my needs it trounces the Air soundly, and then some.

I know I've seen you mention it in other threads but mind reminding me which Windows tablet you're using? Contrary to much of my take on the SP2, I'm still intrigued by this setup and would like to get reacquainted with Windows, just haven't seen the right setup and don't want to spend too much. I think my expectations were pretty high regarding the SP2 because of it's price.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I know I've seen you mention it in other threads but mind reminding me which Windows tablet you're using? Contrary to much of my take on the SP2, I'm still intrigued by this setup and would like to get reacquainted with Windows, just haven't seen the right setup and don't want to spend too much. I think my expectations were pretty high regarding the SP2 because of it's price.

I have the Thinkpad Tablet 2. But wait a hot minute as new Baytrail tablets are being released, so far only a couple have made it into the wild. The newer Baytrail have much more powerful CPU and GPU setups. I'd say this holiday season is going to be a pretty awesome one for windows tablets.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have the Thinkpad Tablet 2. But wait a hot minute as new Baytrail tablets are being released, so far only a couple have made it into the wild. The newer Baytrail have much more powerful CPU and GPU setups. I'd say this holiday season is going to be a pretty awesome one for windows tablets.

Yeah, the Asus Transformer Book T100 looks interesting, has a new Baytrail CPU, supposed to get up to 11 hours battery life :eek:, only downside is lower res display but not terrible, same as the 11" MBA I'm typing this on. I'd also like at least 128GB of storage and 4GB of RAM but $399 for 2GB RAM and 64GB SSD is pretty spectacular value. I'm also really intrigued by the Transformer Book Trio but realize that's probably going to be quite a bit pricier.

Thank's for the reply, don't want to hijack the thread anymore than I already have.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The performance of the baytrail though is not really any match for a Core i5. Hence the cheaper price, it's a modern day netbook if you remember those?

Some benchmarks put it on par with an i3 processor. But I agree that the power is not as good as a core i5, but it's definitely NOT netbook powered. You are talking about the single core Atom processors that powered the original netbooks that were awful. The dual core cpu's on the clovertrail tablets were quite adequate to run most windows functions and programs. Baytrail is actually a pretty large evolution, Intel is not just simply throwing more cores at the problem. Baytrail benchmarks pretty nicely, it edges out the processor in the 2013 nexus 7 for example. Here is Baytrail running COD4 for a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUquWwt1Hd4&feature=youtu.be

Even in light of the above though, so what? What are you truly running on that tablet, or that 11" MBA that you need all that power for? Photoshop runs on my clovertrail tablet, although that's not large graphic files., and that's just one example I'm sure you might be able to make a case for very technical highly specific programs, but at that point chances are you are running a high powered laptop or desktop and not an ultraportable laptop or any tablet.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Some benchmarks put it on par with an i3 processor. But I agree that the power is not as good as a core i5, but it's definitely NOT netbook powered. You are talking about the single core Atom processors that powered the original netbooks that were awful. The dual core cpu's on the clovertrail tablets were quite adequate to run most windows functions and programs. Baytrail is actually a pretty large evolution, Intel is not just simply throwing more cores at the problem. Baytrail benchmarks pretty nicely, it edges out the processor in the 2013 nexus 7 for example. Here is Baytrail running COD4 for a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUquWwt1Hd4&feature=youtu.be

Even in light of the above though, so what? What are you truly running on that tablet, or that 11" MBA that you need all that power for? Photoshop runs on my clovertrail tablet, although that's not large graphic files., and that's just one example I'm sure you might be able to make a case for very technical highly specific programs, but at that point chances are you are running a high powered laptop or desktop and not an ultraportable laptop or any tablet.

I was just making the point, it's not as powerful, and I checked out some other game videos for that Asus T100 and it's terrible with games like Black Ops. It of course depends on what you are going to do, a Bay Trail seems to be fine for genreral purposes.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's a different usage scenario. If someone is buying a surface ONLY as a laptop replacement and NEVER to be used as a tablet, then you are 100% correct. Unfortunately situations are almost never black and white like that.

The surface is a poor laptop, and a semi-poor tablet. But the Air is not even a poor tablet, it's not a tablet at all and never will be. Depending on how you use your computer will dictate which device will be better for you.

----------

Don't forget that you can load Windows onto the MacBook Air, this is the only way I'd ever own one (and did own 3 of them in the past). I think it's a valid comparison, although it does get a bit weird since the surface is a sort of hybrid. But for the price/functionality/power I think it's a fair comparison for someone looking to spend in that 1k+ range.
I agree with you...the Surface Pro 2 has to go a long way to replace my iPad as far as a tablet goes......and the MBA is not a tablet.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Hello,
How are you?
I am not wanting to start a flame war here, but this is an honest question for a debate.
A lot of people online are comparing the iPad air with the surface Pro 2.
But since the surface runs a full os, I think it is closer in specs, price and function to the MacBook Air 11.
So this is my question. Do the features of touch and hybrid make the surface pro 2 a better device and a better purchase against the air 11?

Cheers!

2c. the surface pro is an overweight tablet, and when used as a laptop, has a keyboard and kickstand that prevent using without a table or desk.

By attempting to be both devices, devices like the surface pro are mediocre at both jobs. Also, for tablet use, Windows 8.1 does not compare well to iOS.

One nice thing the Pro does have going for it is the stylus, when used with something like OneNote, but it's an extremely niche use

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Sadly, no, Chrome doesn't have a Metro equivalent. At least I couldn't find one.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2762879?hl=en

Select "Relaunch Chrome on the desktop" or "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode" from the Chrome menu to pick how Chrome launches. It's still not great touch interface, but it is Modern/Metro.

What are you truly running on that tablet, or that 11" MBA that you need all that power for?

As an engineer I will occasionally need to run some limited numerical simulations on such a box and really would need an i5 or even i7 to make it worthwhile for me. Otherwise, I'd stick with an ARM based device running RT, iOS or Android.

B

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2762879?hl=en

Select "Relaunch Chrome on the desktop" or "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode" from the Chrome menu to pick how Chrome launches. It's still not great touch interface, but it is Modern/Metro.

I tried both options and as you mentioned, neither offer a great touch interface IMO, but of course that was just my personal experience. Others may certainly find it works just fine.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Returned my Surface Pro 2 to Best Buy today and of course, I couldn't just walk out without doing a little window shopping. ;) Went to check out what else they had on display in the Windows tablet/hybrid area and saw the new Sony Vaio Tap 11 and I have to admit that's a stunning looking device. Its slightly larger display (11.6") made it easier to use, especially in desktop mode yet it's remarkably thin and light, much more comfortable to hold one handed. It also has a 1080p display that was very sharp, crisp and bright. Its stylus also is heavier and feels great to write with. The built-in stand also offers multiple angles but is much smaller than the SP2's and could only be used on a table.

The keyboard cover is more usable thanks to its slightly larger dimensions. I also preferred the feel of the trackpad and keys vs. the cloth like feel of the touch cover 2. I doesn't stay attached while in use but attaches via magnets as a cover and I believe has its battery recharged while covering the tablet via a contact port in the corner.

I thinks it's priced very similarly to the SP2--Best Buy was only carrying the Pentium model, which while inexpensive at $799 (incl. 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD), probably will suffer performance-wise. I believe it's also offered with i3, i5, or i7 CPUs. Battery life is supposedly similar to the SP2 (5.5-6 hrs), which is remarkable considering how thin it is.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from a Surface Pro 2, but rather offer what might be a viable alternative for anyone who might be put off by the form factor.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Just bought a Surface Pro 2 8 GB Ram 256 GB and I will be returning today

The SP2 is a hybrid of a tablet body more or less with ultrabook components. As a tablet it is heavy at 2 pounds and thick at over .5", so using it as a tablet isn't as enjoyable as a light iPad Air. I knew about the weight of the system before I bought so it was a deal breaker but heavy none the less.

My main problems were however were minor but essential problems with the SP2. One being, viewing angles which were limited even with the second kickstand angle added for the SP2. Poor viewing angles was most evident when having the SP2 in my lap or laying at weird angles on my futon or in my bed. A course you could just hold the SP2 which is very cumbersome to do with a MBA but this is where the SP2 being 2 pounds becomes a problem. While the second kickstand angle is better and I mean much better than the one position only SP, it still doesn't offer the multitude of angles like a traditional laptop which doesn't have my neck doing crunches.

Secondly, while I think the SP2 has a great modern sleek design and uses premium material that rivals Apple, I was horrified at the paint quality. For a computer that will be laying flat on a table or the kickstand will be in constant use the SP2's paint scratches and chips too much. I have had the SP2 for 1 day and already by the charger paint has begun to chip. I know all devices will suffer wear and tear but I have never experienced this from a MBA. This type of wear in tear is similar to the black iPhone 5 with it's camphor edges that scratch very very easily. For $1000+ this is just crazy.

So these are the two reasons I returned my SP2. I think its a great computer that is in ways better than a MBA but if your not at a desk level to your SP2 or you are anal about keeping your devices mark free. than the SP2 isn't for you.

Design: I give it to SP2 even though its thick and heavy, its ability to be used as a tablet gives it more versatility.

Display: While the MBA and most Apple products have superior color quality compared to other I give the edge to the SP2 with its full 1080P resolution.

Audio: both are okay, both are clear, don't distort, but lack bass. Draw

Keyboard: MBA, since its keyboard is built into the MBA which gives it more stability and rigid feel when typing and no flex occurs. The Type Cover is an excellent option but it's trackpad is tiny compared to the Airs and isn't clickable, plus it costs an additional $130.

Performance: Draw. Both are very close. I saw the MBA is slightly faster but if your typing a paper, surfing the web, or even playing minor games on Steam there is no difference.

Software: Windows wins. Even though I think OSX is easier to use since most novices will be confused by Metro and Legacy screens, Windows has superior productivity software in Office and Windows gives you the ability to run mobile apps. Plus you get SkyDrive 200 GB for 2 years and 1 year free of Skype. Apple has better creative software with iLife, so it comes down what you want to do. For me SP2 is more compelling

Multitasking: Snap view has made me more productive at work and with the SP2 you can be using a Tablet app like Halo while surfing the web.

Camera: Draw, while the MBA has a better camera is doesn't have a back facing camera. So depends on what you want to do.

Battery: MBA, will get you about an hour more. If battery life is essential MBA

Value: While the SP2 isn't cheap, it is the same price as the MBA with similar specs BUT that isn't including a Touch or Type Cover BUT the extra $130 might be worth it for some since the SP2 has a touch screen, 1080P, can play mobile apps, has a microSD, and supports a digital stylus. With this said the MBA seems overpriced with its lack of features.

For me both great devices, but I will return my SP2 and stick with my MBA because of quality of the paint and poor viewing angles

phubai

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
You must have a different Air supply?

Well, Windows and Mac OSX is personal preference plus it is a fact a lot more works with Windows then OSX. The Surface is a tablet, not a laptop, would you call the Asus Transformer a laptop? An iPad with a Keyboard a laptop?
And I can compare battery life because again the quoted times are as I said, the Surface has an hour extra then the Air with it's Power Keyboard attachment.
And as for price, well, in the UK a 4GB 128SSD Surface Pro 2 with type 2 cover costs £908.99, a MacBook Air with a slower and less powerful Core i3 CPU, 4GB ram and 128GB SSD costs £929, so you pay pretty much the same for a less powerful Mac.
Maybe in the US your pricing is different? But I compare prices in my own country. And the 256GB Air with 8GB ram is £1109 with the core i3, the Surface with 256GB SSD and 8GB Ram and type cover is £1148.99, so again not much difference but you also get a Core i5 in all Surface Pro 2 computers with a higher clock speed.

And I haven't mentioned the SD card slot or Wacom Digitizer.

MacBook Airs have Core I5 processors, and not I3 regardless of whether it is an 11 or 13 in air, at least in this country. So it isn't a significantly less powerful computer at all...very much the same excepting clock speed which is 1.3 on the air vs 1.9 on the Surface Pro 2. The Surface Pro of course, has a touch screen, and stylus, as well as Windows OS, so if that is important to you, get the Surface Pro or now Pro 2. If battery life is important to you, and for most interested in a portable computer it is, there is no comparison...get the Macbook Air.

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney
I personally own a 2011 MBA 11" and a Surface Pro 2 128/4. I guess I am a lucky one that can afford to have both.

In day to day usage I prefer OS X over Windows of any version, and for that I like the MBA for most things. But I like the touch interface on the Surface, and coupled with the Wacom stylus and drivers it is much better to use for drawing and note taking with full pressure sensitivity in all programs.

I use the Surface mainly for note taking and drawing, that was my primary reason for buying one, plus I like playing with new technology :p I will be getting a controller and playing some steam games on it in the future though for trips and such.

The MBA is used for all else. I love the weight (or lack of) the size and the interface. Using full screen mode I make the most of the smaller overall desktop resolution and typing on it is just so much better.

I can run OS X on the Surface Pro 2, but certain things like bluetooth and wireless are not working. To me that is a deal breaker as I think something like the Surface running OS X would be great!

Would I buy one over the other if I had to? Yes, I'd go for the MBA again as it tends to get more use.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
MacBook Airs have Core I5 processors, and not I3 regardless of whether it is an 11 or 13 in air, at least in this country. So it isn't a significantly less powerful computer at all...very much the same excepting clock speed which is 1.3 on the air vs 1.9 on the Surface Pro 2. The Surface Pro of course, has a touch screen, and stylus, as well as Windows OS, so if that is important to you, get the Surface Pro or now Pro 2. If battery life is important to you, and for most interested in a portable computer it is, there is no comparison...get the Macbook Air.

Yes I see they do have i3 CPU's. I would still argue the battery life though, the latest firmware release boosted it a fair bit for the Pro 2.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I prefer the Air 2013 over the Pro 2. Windows 8.1 is visually appealing, and quite functional, but Mac OSX is just much more elegant and enjoyable to use in my opinion. Also, the Air 2013 has better graphics and slightly higher battery life, most likely due to the lower screen res though.

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
I prefer the Air 2013 over the Pro 2. Windows 8.1 is visually appealing, and quite functional, but Mac OSX is just much more elegant and enjoyable to use in my opinion. Also, the Air 2013 has better graphics and slightly higher battery life, most likely due to the lower screen res though.

Lower Resolution and No touch screen and no wacom support

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Sadly, no, Chrome doesn't have a Metro equivalent. At least I couldn't find one.

Chrome is absolutely horrid on the SP2. It's like Google intentionally tried to make it unusable. Doesn't support any gestures, font scaling issues, etc. Seriously hostile app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.