Surfing!

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Jun 8, 2004.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

Oh man, I went surfing for the first time this weekend. Absolutely fantastic! It took me a while to get up on the board, but once I caught my first wave it was like walking on water. I was at Surfside which is near Galveston. Beautiful weather, and surprisingly, a beautiful beach.

Anyone else on these boards surf?

2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

nope, but i surf these boards :D :eek: :p

heh, sorry, had to be said....

i may be moving to sydney, australia, so if i do, i'm sure to have a go, haven't yet, but i like to think i have good balance so that must help right? mind you, i was crap on my skateboard when i was 10 :cool:

3. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

My office, where I am sitting this very moment is about 50 yards from one of the best surfing spots (Kewalo) on the south shore of Oahu. The break is best in the summer and parking can be a real pain in the butt. Lunch is fun though, either go surfing or watch the surfers.

Here is a picture taken from the seawall a few steps from my office.

Attached Files:

4. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Here's the break on a better day! :D

Attached Files:

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

6. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

hah...i wondered if someone was going to say that. :D

good balance helps, but i was pretty bad on a skateboard as well. try a long board if you can. that's what i used and because of the length and width of the board, it is very stable and very easy to stand up on. i tried a short board and wasn't able to stay on at all. long boards are apparently better on smaller waves. i also love the fact that you can just cruise on a long board. my friend who was helping me out said that a long board does the work for you while on a short board, you have to do all of the work.

7. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

oh wow.

i know where i'm going for my next vacation. :D

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I love surfing. Its really like my 2nd sport, but I live in a desert so its kind of hard to do. I tried my first time when I was 9 because I go to the beach for one month every summer. I loved it, and every time I have a chance to surf I do it.

The last time I went was about 2 months ago in Santa Barbara. Water was really cold, but the waves broke really nice. I used to ride a longboard, but I bought a shortboard last year and I am trying to adapt to it.

I am going to Newport Beach this weekend with a friend, I hope the waves are nice because I am bringing my board!

I will find a pic of me surfing (its in Carpinteria, waves suck) on my shortboard. It was hard that day because its in Carpineteria and I brought my shortboard (bad move).

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Here

Attached Files:

10. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

nice.

how hard was it to shift to a short board? i love the way a long board rides, but it's very difficult for me to transport one.

11. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I respect surfers a lot. I skate and don't really see that challenge with snowboarding or rollerblading because they are connected to your feet. not to knock those activities but i'm just saying that skateboarding and surfing require more effort and are more of a challenge in turn. watch dogtown the movie for proof of how close surfing and skating are.

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Shifting to a shortboard had its advantages and disadvantages. Smaller waves are way harder to catch, and you have to bounce the board more if you do catch em. It is easier to carve with a shortboard and attempt tricks (attempt is the key word :p)

I still like my longboard though. Sometimes it scares me on bigger waves because if i dont drop in right the board will kinda bottom out on the curve of the wave and I don't want to hurt hte board. And sometimes I worry its gonna hit me underwater.

i dunno, I recommend longboard to starters, then gradually learn a shortboard. I think its good to have both. If I get pics surfing this weekend I will post em.

I remember my first large wave on a board was like 4 years ago and I was at sunset beach on my longboard. It isn't usually very big there but it was real big for one of the weekends I was there and it was awesome. I was nervous at first because my first try I ate crap. The second time I made it and it felt so good dropping in nicely.

13. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I live in San Clemente, a little town halfway between LA and San Diego, which has a lot of 'famous' surf spots: T-Street, Trestles, San Onofre...

I borrowed a board from a co-worker once, but didn't even make it into the water: the surfers are very competitive and territorial over here, I didn't want to get into a fight for ruining somebody's run. It does get pretty crowded.

Anyway, I will have to try it sometime. In the meantime, I just bodyboard. You know, in the swim area with the little kids. :rolleyes:

14. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

etoiles - I hate surfers that do that. It really does get to me. I was at the beach with this guy (like 4 years older than me) and we were body surfing in Newport Beach. The guy I was with is a pretty tough guy and has a quick temper. Some surfer guy starts talkin crap to us in the water telling us were tourists and were in his way and stuff. My buddy got out of the water and just stood on the beach and waited for the guy to come out. When he did, he walked up to the guy and punched him in the face. It was so sweet.

I wouldn't do that to a surfer guy but I might run my mouth (depending on how big he is :D )