Surge Protection for PowerBooks

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kasei, Aug 16, 2004.

1. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I am traveling to Mexico next week and I am curious to know if the power adapter that came with my 17" PowerBook has the ability to protect the system for power surges. If not where can I buy a portable one that will fit an Apple?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife has a APC Surge Protector for her PB. I highly recommend one, if traveling or at home. It shows how effective they work that they offer $25,000 lifetime coverage.

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

APC
    "Equipment Protection Policy"
    'In the 50 US States and Canada for 120 Volt Products'

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Haha, so it works in countries where the power is quite stable. Sha-weet! :p

I heard there are 2 different types of surge protectors, one that works and one that doesn't. One just cuts the line out so that current doesn't conduct to your PB, but I believe there's a better system that works in more cases. Its more expensive. Not sure though. Just going off the top of my head now. Someone explained this to me around 2 years ago. :confused:

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Are you confusing a batterbackup with surge protection.

Battery Backup has both surge and a battery. Your power to your computer is feed through a rechargeable battery thus is a surge happens it hits the surge protector in the battery backup, but you are still drawing power from the battery.

Surge protection is what it says. protects your from surges. since your PB has a battery the only thing your really need is surge protection.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Surge protector for home uses

The areas I reside have reliable electric source and there has not been that many power outages. But, to protect all my electronic equipment including PowerBooks, I am using Belkins' Surgemaster surge protection units. The most recent one I bought has the protection up to 2655 Joules/135,000 amps. The rest of the units are, I think, rated less than that (but over 1000 Joules). Are thye good engough barrier against the potentional electric surge?

8. diehldun macrumors 6502a

What happens if you don't have surge protection for a PowerBook? I don't have one... only for the TV etc. :confused:

9. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

The PowerBook will be fried. :p I got one from APC but I hardly use it except when there's a storm or if I'm in a hotel with "blinky" power delivery.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I got one from radio shack for like $30. If there is a problem, woudln't it just go to battery like if u unpluged it (if u have the battery charged) I could be wrong though.

edit -
    I guess you do need one... :eek:

11. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

The first problem would be frying the power supply. Apple has replaced two of mine because their cheap Elbonian construction caused them to overheat and fry themselves. They're about $100 each. Then a surge could overload anything which is receiving electricity from the wall outlet.