Surge Protection Question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pMad, Dec 13, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

I have my TV mounted on the wall with no wires showing. I need to get a low profile surge protector to go behind the TV. I purchased on that is 540 Joules.

I have a question. The guy at the store was telling me that the higher the number of joules, the better. That seems backwards to me. As I understand it, that means my surge protector can handle 540 joules before it blows. A higher rated surge protector would then handle say 1200 joules before it blows.

I have no idea how many joules my TV can handle. Wouldn't I rather the surge protector blow out sooner than later? Even if I have to replace it a couple times a year, it seems it's better than frying a $1500 TV.

Am I missing something?

Will I be OK with a surge protector rated 540 joules?

Thanks

2. macrumors member

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

But that's my point. I'm not so sure higher is better. I don't know what my tv can handle. But assume it can only handle 1000 joules. It seems to me that a 500 joule surge protector is better than a 1500 one. That way I'm assured the surge protector will burn out BEFORE the TV does.

4. macrumors regular

Higher is better. The joules refers to how much energy the unit can shunt to ground before failing. When it fails, you may still have a working power strip. And then you aren't protected from the next surge.