Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
All right...I like my new ibook...a LOT...one of the reasons I switched was by seeing how clever, practical, and elegant Apple products are. I suppose that, as with any marriage, though, there are bound to be 'issues' that weren't seen before the marriage...OK...here's the deal-I just got my new APC surge protector to protect my ibook, but I find that the connector to the Apple extension cord has only one groove instead of two...at least the little piece that pops out of the AC adaptor has two grooves, so it's possible to connect the surge protector...but I'm quite annoyed that now the surge protector is hanging from the outlet...granted, APC is partly to blame-had the cord on the surge protector been longer it would rest on the ground...HOWEVER, had Apple made all the plugs with two grooves, I could just use the Apple extension cord...all right...I'm done venting...any ideas as to how to fix this situation? It's all a bit ridiculous.

Felix_the_Mac

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
UK
Do iBooks/Powerbooks need a surge protector?

I figured that the adapter/battery would protect them?

(Of course the surge protector could protect the adapter and/or battery :)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
To my knowledge nothing has a built in surge protector unless it's stated.

So yeah, Apple laptops need a surge protector. Well, it's not required but lightening could short out the poweradapter and logicboard.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
The Answer!

What country are you from as different countries use different power connectors.

I'm from the States, too...does yours have a different plug set-up? I came up with one possible solution-I could just carry a folding chair around with me, so as to place the surge protector and AC adaptor on... :D

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
IMHO, the best surge protectors are made by Brickwall.com. These surge protectors don't use the cheap MOV method most convetional surge protectors like APC or Belkin use but method called series. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but it's well worth the peace of mind. And they don't run out like Apple Care. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.