Surgery on my Imac's Vram!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by frescies, Jan 10, 2003.

1. frescies macrumors regular

Anybody out there know how I can add more vram to my iMac (if its possible of course). I realize that would require opening it (which as of yet I do not know how to do :D) and perhaps do things that would void my warrantee. I have the 17" with 32 megs in its geforce4MX.... I would like to push it to its 64 mb limit....

is this possible?... at least theoretically possible??

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

its not possible. Not even theoretically. sorry. there are no VRAM slots, all of the video stuff is soldered onto the logic board.

3. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

It's the reason why I got a Powermac. I looked at motherboard, and I agree, it's impossible. Sorry.

4. frescies thread starter macrumors regular

Is it possible to open an Imac and get to the internal components? Id like to look at them (something thats bugged me ever since I got it..... I ALWAYS want to look at the inside :(

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I am sure the American Psychiatric Association has a phobia and/or fetish assigned with that.. ;)

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

On the eMac and iMac, both need to have thermal pads and paste replaced every time you tear them apart - failure to properly replace these can cause the machines to have thermal problems (ie overheat).

The eMac is even a bigger PIA, since the components are wrapped around a big charged CRT - which needs to be discharged.

7. frescies thread starter macrumors regular

Jezuz!!

Well, I think I will forget about the inside now.... Sometimes I find myself tempted to CRACK it open :(... At least I dont have an emac... I'd rather end up with a sawwed open imac than be burnt to a crisp because I have no will power :D