Surprise! PBS' "Newshour" has a conservative bias.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, at least according to these guys:

Adelphia news link

I'm still savoring the delicious irony of that first paragraph, but I do think this report is open to question.

While I do wonder about the 2-1 bias toward Republicans (even considering the administration is Republican), the other claims seem weak. Who's PBS gonna interview about the Katrina flood? Victims and experts. Yeah, a lot of the victims are gonna be black, but how much you wanna bet most if not all of the experts are white? And that's not PBS' fault.

Similar situation with the Iraq war. If they mean "peace activists" like Cindy Sheehan, you're not gonna see a lot of those. But you may see a lot of anti-war congressmen like John Murtha. I think if they want to see more peace activists on TV, then the peace activists have gotta be out there actively making news, like holding protests.

This report isn't actually all that unusual. Much as I like them, Media Matters also goes overboard on criticizing the media for perceived slights.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

don't watch that show alot, their round table features a so called liberal who is not very smart.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Who are you talking about? The NewsHour doesn't do a "round table" feature.

To the wider question, we were watching the program last night when they did a segment on whether Denny Hastert should resign as Speaker over his handling of the Foley business. Both the pro and con arguers were Republicans. Now while on paper this might look like Republican bias, in fact it illustrated the split the issue has created within the party, which is part of the story.

I've watched this program nearly every night literally for decades. I've never had any major complaints. It's still one of the few news programs on TV worth watching.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, see, this shows I really don't watch it alot, I meant the guy who debate everyday with david brooks. David brooks sometimes makes untrue claim, and that guy never catch it.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Ahh, you're talking about Mark Shields. Yeah, he sometimes doesn't challenge Brooks on his statements as much as he could/should.

Edit: Thanks IJ, I got my wires crossed. I agree with your comment; I listen to NewsHour podcasts here in France to stay up to date, and their discussions are always good. Sometimes I'd like 'someone' to moderate a bit better when either of them starts spouting off some disinformation.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Mark Shields. The point of this segment isn't to debate politics, it's to discuss politics. If you prefer to watch people argue, stick to cable.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic