Surprise Refurb Easter Eggs ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MRU, Feb 23, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So I was thinking of buying a refurb macbook pro (I'm selling my current macbook) and have been reading that a lot of people on this forum, when purchasing a Refurb have actually got 'more' than they bargained for in the form of Extra ram, or Video Card Upgrade.

Is this common ? or is it just a case of 'pot luck'...

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

From what I have seen its fairly common, but I think you are more likely to receive some goodies in a desktop mac like a Mac Pro or iMac.
    Your defiantly going the right route with a refurb though they are amazing value for money....

ShadoW

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I've sold my macbook black to a relative and I'm going to get a 2ghz macbook pro for exact same price as i've just sold ;) :D

4. halcyon-days macrumors newbie

Yeah I just received my refurb macbook pro 2.16 c2d with 1gig of ram. I didn't get any extras but I’ve added an extra gig of ram now and noticed a slight difference. The quality of the refurb was perfect, no dents or cosmetic issues not even a single scratch. I opted for the 128mb of vram. This is my first time using a Mac laptop and im still getting used to the keyboard layout, finding the return key so tiny but the build quality is fantastic. I've been reading these forums now for some time and was expecting my laptop to be roasting warm and a weird noise and fluttering screen but honestly the laptop isn't even remotely warm and is quiet as hell. I owned an imac g5 previously and the laptop makes the imac seem noisy.
    I'd recommend the refurb option to anyone as it saves you quite a good bit of cash which you can spend on ram updates or a good night out at the pub (im Irish). To sum it up, I love the laptop just have to wait for the iphone now for apple to get more of my hard earned cash :)

5. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

Isnt it cool when you can screw your dumb ass realtives....

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dont worry your not the only one ;) :D

LOL. Well they are getting it for €1300 when I paid €1750 including the Apple Care.
    It's just the macbook pro is €1300 refurb.

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Well my refurbed macbook (cd) came wih 1 gig of ram instead of the 512 states, which was VERY nice. I helped a friend of mine eecide to purchase a 17" mbp and it came with 1.5 gig RAM and a 160 gig ardrive, it is coreduo so the default was 120 gig (I think). Good luck

:)

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I purchased a refurb powerbook and did not get any extra goodies...and I had read so much about the potential extras that I was almost disappointed when I didn't get one.

But that being said, I would still recommend it. You get a practically brand new machine for much less.

Since I bought that Powerbook, I have bought nothing but refurb from Apple (2 iPods, and an Airport Express) and my next Mac will definitely be refurb.

9. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I have a macbook pro core duo 2ghz
    superdrive & 128mb X1600, & 80gb HDD for €1300

When I paid €1540 for a black macbook 6 months ago.

I got faulty ram from a third party with my macbook and finally after a long painful replacement process they sent me double ram back as a sorry last week (however I had already bought more in the intervening period as I did not think it would ever come back), so that means I'll be able to max out my Ram on the new machine :)

But I'm still hoping I find an easter egg surprise anyway ;)

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

12. durvivor macrumors member

I ordered a refurbished MacBook C2D - White w/ 1gb 80gb last week. Sadly I received no easter eggs.

However, my MacBook came perfect, it looked so new it didn't have a fingerprint on it. Its been awesome & of course I saved $200 bucks, thats 15% off an Apple!

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

a nice freebie bonus you never counted on.
    1gb ram when you thought it would have 512mb
    80gb hd when you though it would have 60gb

Nice... I'm saving 40% on mine so I'm happy anyway :)

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is quite common, but I think what really happened is the buyer got a BTO machine which shipped out to him, but arrived with a defect serious enough to warrant a replacement to the point where Apple went out of their policy and issued another machine instead of taking the old one and repairing it.

I got one Macbook before with upgraded hard drive and ram, but it came with 2 stuck pixels. JScreenFix couldn't help but oh well, the ram and hard drive are like an extra $200 value.

15. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well my refurb MacBookPro arrived. It was meant to have 512mb of ram and it came with 1gb (2x512mb) which was nice, although I would have prefered 1gb sodimm, as now I'll have to replace both pieces to get to 2gb.

The packaging for refurbs is definetly plain to say the least, but heck when you have nearly €800 saving, who cares about a pretty box.

Much happier already with this machine than my black macbook, even though basically they are exactly the same spec.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Hi-Res PowerBook

Listed 80GB 5400rpm, came with 100GB 7200rpm

BlackBook Core Duo

Listed 512MB and 80GB

Came with 2GB and 120GB.

17. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

wowsers v.good bonus on the blackbook :)

18. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I had a 24" imac that was maxed out, and i also got a ibook with soooo many dead pixels...

19. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

We really don't need to have two identical threads. Sorry, the other one was started first. Please post there.