surprise restart

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by buckuxc, Feb 5, 2004.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

I opened my PB G4 tonight, woke it from sleep, and the screen darkened slightly and a bezel came up and told me that I had to restart my computer, by either holding the power button for several seconds or pressing the restart button. Can someone give me an idea of why this would happen? I have not restarted my computers in a couple of days (not since Monday when I had to update safari and java), but there was no other intimation of something going wrong. Any ideas? Could there be something wrong? Thanks.

sps

2. wowoah macrumors regular

Re: surprise restart

Yeah!!! mine does that too!!! Any insight would be awesome.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

What you are experiencing is called a Kernal Panic.

Have you added any extra RAM to your machine? Usually bad RAM causes most kernal panics.

If your machine is kernal panicing when it wakes from sleep, it could be a software issue.

4. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

no new RAM yet

However, new software has been added. Perhaps I am in need of fixing the permissions and/or running MacJanitor or Panther Cache Cleaner...?

5. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

This happened to me too, on my PB G4...and it happened today after I had updated Safari and Java...maybe it has something to do with these applications?

6. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

I had the same problem on mine! Although mine happened while ripping in iTunes. This PB G4 problem seems to be more wide-spread than I thought!:mad:

By the way, I never installed any new RAM.