Surround on a FW 800...speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maelstromr, Nov 14, 2003.

1. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

Hey everyone,
    I'm not a huge audiophile...but sometimes I like to pretend that I am. Having shelled out the dough for a 20" screen and a beautiful system, I would like to take it the next step and home theater enable it. My question is how you would recomend doing this. I am willing to spend a few hundred doing this, and want more then your basic out of the box best buy $150 sound system.
    Should I get the M-Audio revolution card and add a cambridge soundworks system? Experience with these products? Similar recomendations? I don't want to be looking at the high hundreds or thousands, but again, I'm willing to pay for quality.

Thanks in advance.

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Depends on your expandability

I have an M-Audio Sonica, USB -> optical converter. It works well, especially now that Apple's DVD Player under Panther can see digital output devices like this.

I would say that 75% of your money go into speakers. I am an audio engineer, so I use studio reference monitors at home as well as work. The question is how do you want audio to get to the speakers? If you go with a system that has a built-in digital vs. analogue, the digital line should be able to carry future formats (7.1, 8.1, 10.2, etc...) whereas your analogue outputs on a Revolution card is maxed at 7.1.

Also, do you want other sources to the speakers (radio, TV, etc...) or is your computer sufficient? Do you need a receiver to manage audio devices or will you be set with just your Mac? I suppose it all depends on how complex you want to make it. Complexity and expandability = more money though, so price things out as you go...

Good luck!

cpjakes

3. maelstromr thread starter macrumors 6502

maelstromr

Thanks, that's some good starting advice. It's always nice to be ABLE to move up...if the revolution is no good for that, what would you suggest? At the moment I'm not interested in connecting other devices and that's not a major concern of mine, although again, the OPTION is always nice. In this case I would call the computer the main system to be concerned with, everything else is secondary and not that important.

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Aside from the recommended audio cards above (which are good choices), I'd get a set of Logitech Z-680's . You can pick them up at the Apple Store for $299. I own the Z-560's, which are basically the same, just 4.1 and anolog only inputs. They are incredible. While not audiophile grade, they are close. Everything comes alive. The sub is deep and powerful enough to shake your soul! Since you seem to be interested in a home theater setup, these speakers, with their excellent power, volume, and bass seem to fit the bill perfectly. Plus, they have optical, coaxial, and direct inputs, plus a remote! You won't be dissapointed.

5. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

On this topic...can anyone recommend a decent computer speaker system that uses optical technology? I'm not looking to spend any more than $150

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Unlikely, If you want to use optiacl tech, you will more than likely have to buy a Hi-Fi reciever.

7. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Surrond sound?

hey, i have a 17 inch powerbook, how would i get surround sound on that?
    do i need like a pcmci sound card or something?
    thanks

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: Surrond sound?

If you listen to music, it's only in Stereo (2.0,) unless it is SACD or DVD-A which are 5.1. I'm not sure computers can play SACD's, but I'm pretty sure they can play DVD-A's.

DVD movies are in 5/6/7.1, but you would be better off buing a TV. About your question though, it's probabley not worth it.

9. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

Ya.. I have to second the z-560s they are truly a value for the money. The have basically replaced any other speakers I use. A friend has the z-680s which are basically the same except in a 5.1 format. For the money these speakers can't be beat.. I've had mine now for about two years with no problems.