"Surround Sound"/"Home Theatre Systems"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neoelectronaut, Apr 16, 2005.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Is it worth spending the $200+ on these suckers? I don't watch movies all that often, but the idea of a 5.1 system is very cool. I'm often tempted to get the $40 Duraband brand from wal-mart just "for the hell of it"...

Though it's probably not even real 5.1 surround.
  2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Sure, it's worth it as long as your setup can actually drive the extra speakers. For PCs/Macs, I would assume that this means having a 5.1-capable sound card. Otherwise, you're just getting stereo from front and rear speakers. I'm sticking with a 2.1 setup for my PC/Mac setup, since I don't really use it to watch movies and I don't want to have to run wires (which are EVIL, especially if you can see them) for the rear speakers.

If I wanna watch movies, that's what I have a home theatre for.

P.S. Don't shop at Wal-Mart. They're evil, too.
  3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    Surround sound is a must with movies..... once you get it you'll crave it. ;)
  4. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    If you have the money for it and want it why not ;)
  5. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I won't watch a DVD movie unless it's in surround sound. Dolby 5.1 or DTS. The center channel speaker, bass, and rear speakers add so much to a movie, other than just the left and right speakers. In fact, you pay more attention in a movie with the right soundtrack.
  6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
  7. Devie macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    for your home theatre, its a definate must. I personally have a Denon 6.1Ch system in my bedroom, I love it and it was definatly worth the $1530 AUD I spent on it (inc. speakers).

If you're buying one for your tv, dont sped $200. Spend atleast $1200 AUD... err , so about $800 USD I guess... (including the tax bs we get here)
  8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Once you had a surround sound hifi, you just cannot live without it... ;)

When my old (regular stereo) amplifier needed replacement a couple of years ago, I got a Onkyo, re-used my old Pioneer front speakers and got some satelite speakers, also Pioneer, paying ~NOK3.500 ≈ $550 (now, remember buying electronics in Norway is way more expensive than in the US, so you probably get the same setup for ~$350). Compared to the money I spend (or the lack of money I spend, I should say) I got a very nice setup, more than good enough for most regular people.

I would say, don't go for the cheapest offer possible, but get a decent brand that's still relative cheap. That will give you most value for your money, and still good quality...

Edit: This Onkyo at Amazon seems like a good offer at $210, and even better refurbished at $150...
  9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana

I meant more for my living room and DVD Player/TV than my computer...