Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by g5_11, Sep 1, 2005.

1. g5_11 macrumors member

g5_11

I have recently looked into buying some new speakers and a reciever. I was wondering if the optical out on the G5's supported surround sound or if it is possible on a mac. Does anyone have any experience with surround sound and macs? If not is the an external usb device you can buy?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It supports Dolby Digital/DTS pass through in DVD player only. This means that you need an external amp/receiver that can decode the surround sound signal, the Mac does not do the processing itself.

3. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

You could get a speaker system that does the decoding. The Logitech Z-5500 THX ones do this.

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I think it does support surround sound on other apps... What about A.pack from FC Studio... ? And my PB 17" has surround too right? (rev D)

5. g5_11 thread starter macrumors member

g5_11

I just picked up a yamaha surround sound receiver and am going to be getting some new speakers this week. I have yet to try the receiver with the mac as I dont have an optical cable but its good to know that it should work.