Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilkie0408

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
I am pretty new to apple and was wondering what I should get in order to have 5.1 surround sound. I have a new macbook pro - I was looking at getting the Klipsch promedia 5.1. Do i need to buy an external sound card and if so, which one should I buy.

Thanks

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
stoid said:
Well, Griifin makes a product called the FireWave, but I've never used it, so I can't attest it's quality. Maybe there is something out there cheaper too?

How come everyone advises the firewave when someone asks about surround sounds for the PB/MBP?!?!? The firewave was announced by Griffin more than a year ago and still has NOT been released. Notice the 'pre-order'...well its been there for over a year also (just had to get that off my chest)

To get 5.1 from the klipsch, yes you will need an external sound card. Read here for more info: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/159536/

You could also get speakers that have digital in, such as the high end logitechs.

wilkie0408

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Thanks for the help. I have a few more questions however.

If I buy the high end logitechs with digital surround surround sound, what would be the advantage? Would I have to buy a better external soundcard? I suppose there is no way to connect my mbp directly to any 5.1 speakers.

Sorry for more questions - Thanks

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Alright, the MBP has a 2.0 analog out and an optical out.
So your options for surround sound is to:

1. Via analog: Get an external sound card that is mac compatible and is capable of 5.1 or higher.

2. Via optical: Get a surround speaker set or receiver that has 'optical in'. You won't need an external sound card since the MBP already has optical out. Advantages...hmmm...the logitech speakers or the receiver will be able to do the dolby digital and dts decoding. Its pure digital audio. No extra device needed.

wilkie0408

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Sweet. thanks very much for the help. I think I will get the Logitech High Ends and see how they work out.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I got a great deal on Logitech's Z-5500 system, which has optical (among others) input. MSRP is $399.99, but I found them for under $300 here.

You can also read about my attempts to get surround sound without having built-in optical out here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.