Survey-Cost for a 4 year degree in your country?

Discussion in 'Community' started by FFTT, Jul 31, 2005.

1. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Here in the USA, the average cost for a 4 year college
    degree is about $20,000 per year or $80,000.

This may or may not include room and board, books computers and handy extras like a car.

The top schools average much higher.

I'm wondering what our international friends must pay as local residents for a university education in their country.

Please try to include any normal expenses.

It would also help to know how students are qualified
    if their education is free, residency, grades etc.

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

depends on the degree a lot i guess, but my engineering degree cost about $21000 Au,however if i had payed up front it would have cost me in total $15750 so approximatly $11500US, it is no wonder there are so many american exchange students over here if that is what it costs in the US. That is class payments only.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if you're going to start up a thread like this, at least put in some guidelines, like asking people for the cost of tuition for a full-time student to be separated from the cost of living, and whether they live in a medium/large city where living costs and general things are more costly. How about another amount for living expenses if you don't live at home?

PS: My 3 year PhD tuition is costing me $60000 total, and that's in Aussie dollars. Its around $45000 USD.

And just to note (because of the post below mine), as an international student (ie: non-UK citizen), it would have cost me £13000 quid per year to do my PhD in London.

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

My four year masters in computer science from Imperial College London is going to cost me £0 for tuition over the four years. My local council, combined with the government, are going to pay all of my tuition, as they do with most people. All I have to pay are my living costs in London, which will be high.

5. Tahko macrumors regular

Education costs a round zero (0) in all universitys or other academies. I think our government has now set 8 years study limit for the master degree or then it will be implemented next year.
    Government also pays monthly student benefit, which ranges from 0-280 € according to your parents income and your own place of living.
    Then government also pays 80% of housing costs if apartment is under 255 € a month.

But then unlike in Amerikka, we don't get stuff like free computers, cars, apartments, ipods, software updates etc. But I really don't give a *****, it's better this way.

Sometimes it's darn great to live in a welfare country.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I love that setup too. I can't understand why Canada isn't like that. It's progressive in so many areas, and in this area, it's better than the US, but its still not up to snuff IMO. Better than the US.......I mean, every other country is better than the US in this regard.

7. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

At the university where I just finished my master in chemistry, tuition was something like 480 euros a year (586 $). That's without housing and food (I live at home with my parents) and the books, which were mostly edited by the uni itself so they weren't expensive. That's for a Dutch-speaking uni.
    My brother goes to a French-speaking college, and his tuition is a bit over 1000 € a year, plus 25 € per exam-session. He is doing a master (4 year) in journalism.
    Those are the full prices. The studens whose parents don't earn much, or who have to pay by themselves, can get lower tuition fees.

8. Tahko macrumors regular

I think students should pay fee here in Finland too.. Only problem is, that if we want to remain a high-tech nation we NEED to apply "for each by his ability" rule in education. Population is too small to spawn required amount of highly educated people. I think to remember that Nokia alone hires +400 new engineers in Finland yearly.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Tuition here runs about $2300 per semester for in-state, roughly triple that for out of state. It's always going up for whatever reason. International students, however, have it made. Here, most of them get free tuition, plus a stipend, and in some cases, their governments also give them money for going abroad to study.

10. SkAlex macrumors member

Well at my school (a top-tier private university in New York City)...

Tuition is somewhere around $30,000 US + anywhere from $8,000 to I think $13,000 for the dorm. This is per academic year...

So you're looking at around $160,000 for a 4-year degree. :eek: :eek: It's pretty tough - and there are rumors of an increase in tution over the next year or two. :mad:

(edit - I did my math wrong...leave me alone I'm a film major)

11. SkAlex macrumors member

On a side note, a good friend of mine from New York met a guy that she started going out with from Australia two years ago and decided to follow him to Melbourne for college. Her parents were hesitant, but with the crazy tutions in the states, it was enough incentive for them to let her go to a school that's probably just as great of an education for a quarter (maybe less?) of the cost.

While maybe Australia's a bit far, there are some great school in Canada and Europe...

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My UK Open University honours degree cost around £3,000 in total for tuition and materials over three years.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

380 € fee per semester, so 720 € per year (since 1999 or 2000 i think)

but i get a small stipend so i get those fees back though ;) (plus 50 €/month and money for the bus tickets)
    and about cost of living: depends how much you want to spend and if you're lucky with rents ... finding a small apartment is rather hard most are living together with other students etc.
    i would say 300-400 €/ month cost of living incl. food etc.(hard to guess) if you studying abroad ... if you are able to study in your home town you're lucky ;)

14. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

I really appreciate everyone's input on this.

My goal is to put this together eventually and write Congress to consider
    higher education reform laws.

15. Blackstealth macrumors regular

4 year degree in Business and Management, at a not particularly prestigious univeristy, ran to about £4500 ($8000) for tutition and a further £6000 ($10,000) in other expenses. I'm in about £9000 ($16,000) of debt after graduating 14 months ago.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Being in my fraternity and going to school here at the U of A averages about $9-$10,000 each year.

$5,000/yr - Fraternity
    $4,000/yr - School

jon

17. oreomac macrumors member

My tutition fees are £0, as the NHS pays the cost, as I'm studying to be a nurse.

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

That should be fun, consider turning the oceans orange for your next project, it's just as likely to happen.

Educators-- colleges-- they're in it for the money, just like any other business is. they've got lobbyists. they own senators. they're not going to want a reform, especially when so many Americans are already willing to pay so much for tuition.

In Iowa, it's about $10,000 - 15,000 a year, for a state university. Just going by what my friend pays, a private university around here is about $40,000 per year. Total, including books, etc etc, but not including housing.

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

I graduated from Georgia Tech in May, and it cost me just under $25,000 total (not including books). That number is skewed, though. It took me 5 years because I switched majors. Also included is a few semesters of dorm rooms, etc. Not too bad considering its a top school. (Plus, in state tuition is subsidized by the state).

I went to a private high school and it cost about 20,000 for 4 years.