Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170317-student_notebook_share.jpg

Over the weekend, Fortune reported on data collected by research firm Student Monitor showing Apple holding down the #1 spot among notebook computer manufacturers favored by U.S. college students. In its most recent survey of 1,200 students, the firm found that 27% of student-owned notebooks were Macs, compared to 24% for second-place Dell. Apple also fares well looking ahead to the future, with 47% of those students planning to purchase a new notebook intending to buy a Mac.
Here, according to managing partner Eric Weil, are the facts:

- 95% of college students interviewed this spring owned at least one computer (83% owned a laptop, 24% a desktop, 15% both)
- Among the laptop owners, 27% owned Macs
- Among the desktop owners, 45% owned a Dell (DELL) or HP (HPQ) and 14% a Mac
- Among those who planned to purchase a new computer, 87% planned to buy a laptop. And among those students 47% planned to buy a Mac.
Fortune positions the data as a debunking of a report from analyst Trip Chowdhry last week claiming that 70% of incoming college freshmen were opting for Macs. Chowdhry claimed to have obtained his data from a survey of five universities, but did not disclose the names of the schools or the number of students surveyed.

170317-dell_hp_apple_student_share.jpg

While Apple's leadership position in the notebooks category is notable even if not at the 70% level previously claimed, perhaps even more striking is the shift in student purchasing plans over just the last few years, with Apple's 47% share of planned purchases in 2010 dominating Dell and HP's shares in the 11-12% range and a complete flip from as recently as 2005, when Dell commanded 47% of the planned purchases and Apple sat at only 14%.

170318-uva_mac_pc_2009.jpg

One example of a university where the popularity of Macs has taken off is the University of Virginia, where over 43% of incoming freshmen in 2009 owned Macs, up from 37% in 2008 and quickly closing the gap on Microsoft's long-standing dominant position. The University of Virginia's survey also showed the utter dominance of notebooks over desktops among its students, with over 99% of computers owned by incoming freshmen being notebooks.

Article Link: Survey Finds Apple Most Popular Notebook Brand Among U.S. College Students

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This is all complete propaganda!

Every knows Apple computers can't do anything and PCs are perfect. The only reason anyone buys an Apple is because Steve Jobs swans his sexiness on stage.

/PC Wanker-Troll mode

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
So if I read the data correctly...

Windows continues to dominate the desktop in schools and business. Gee, I am stunned by the findings....but the fanboys get their shorts in a bunch with these kinds of charts.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Windows continues to dominate the desktop in schools and business. Gee, I am stunned by the findings....but the fanboys get their shorts in a bunch with these kinds of charts.

You might wanna rethink who you're referring to as a fanboy because you're not reading the news correctly (why am I surprised?). The article is not even about Windows, it's about Macs dominating in sales for students and each company, Dell, HP...... do not have a larger market share than Apple. :p. Funny how Apple haters always try to win the argument by bringing up Windows' market share as a whole rather than individual companies which matters the most. :rolleyes:

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Glad to see this trend.

From a UI design point of view, Windows was ugly in 1995, 2001, and is still ugly today.

Mac OS beauty > Windows IU

cmfilms

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Central Iowa
THESE are the polls that keep the M$ team up at night. The brand-loyalty choices are made permanent in college. These kids are going to grow up and run companies and staff IT departments. Ballmer should be worried. This is a snapshot of what you'll see nationwide in 20 years.

MacRacer

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
My Race Car
Is a MBP really necessary for a freshman? :confused:

The bigger the better. :D I am in my second year of college and I bought my MBP 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 15" with 2BG of Ram, 250 GB of HD, and the Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT. I use mine for everything, from editing my 1080p racing videos to watching movies to being a TV to all my homework. I LOVE MY MBP and won't buy anything else.

MBP & Mac OS X 10.5 = Simple & Powerful
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Is this another D'oh! story?

An equivalent headline would be "Nearly 3/4 of college students choose Windows laptops".

It is significant that the college student market share is so much higher than Apple's real marketshare - but I would bet that if you'd adjust for family income, Apple's college market share would be closer to their upper income bracket market share.

In other words - "Apples are expensive, college is expensive - and people who can afford college are more likely to be able to afford Apples".

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Is a MBP really necessary for a freshman? :confused:

I have a macbook and I regret not paying the extra for the pro.

The metal case is sturdier and easier to keep clean. The applecare paid to repair the macbook because of a design flaw. Now a year later I have to see if they can replace it again along with a new crack on the back of the monitor. The plastic is too weak on the macbook. It is obvious cracks will happen over time even with careful handling.

Also the macbook pro has the card slot that allows you to install an operating system on a flash card. You can use one for windows and one for a backup of Mac OS for running disc warrior. No more carrying around a second hard drive. Yes I know the windows can be partitioned into the internal HD but who wants to lose that space for occasional usage of windows?

If the flash card is an option you want though, I'd recommend waiting for the next update when higher capacity flash cards can be used. The mac mini already allows it even though the largest cards aren't available yet.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Bloody nora! That's a huge increase over the years. I remember when I was at uni from 2004-2007 almost everyone there had Apple laptops. Maybe it's just different in England.

As much as I don't like the iPad, iPhone 4 and almost everything else Apple make they do make exceedingly good laptops. They're even better for students now because 1 computer will run OSX and Windows applications. They're good value for money there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.